Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm looking for something to apply to a wooden guitar stand that would be soft enough to feel 'padded' I've seen a lot of rubber/plastic/silicone products but perhaps I dont know the correct jargon to determine which is correct for my application. I appreciate all input, thank you!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You could use various types of leather from animal skins to tanned belt types. Many different fabrics from velvet to nylon banding. There are several self stick types of furniture pad material that can be bought in strips or sheets. Other things that come to mind are cork, various rubber or rubber like materials, neoprene, weather strips, rubber bumper material used on boats. Guess it depends on the stand and whether it's going on the road or sitting in the house, the look you like and the size and shape of the contact areas you want to cover. Any pics of the stand?

·
Registered
722 Posts
You may want to do some research on padding and coatings that are compatible with nitrocellulose lacquers if you intend on putting any vintage guitars in the stand. Many comercial guitar stands out there will soften the finish of the guitar because they are not compatible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses! I will look into compatible products to not mess up the neck or finish, Ttharp. Hammer1, I want to be able to keep the wood as visible as possible, perfectly clear would be ideal, its rough wood from a downed tree and i like the shape of it, and wanted to make it into a stand.. Definitely a home show piece, and not going on the road. Its basically a 10x5 inch cylinder with a couple notches that happen to be the right shape for a guitar neck. I have seen plasti dip also, but wasnt finding the product I was hoping for? perhaps I just dont know enough to be sure about what was the right one?

Thanks again for all the help, and I hope your help does the trick!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts