Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
That's a fine looking table! I am often not a fan of walnut with cherry, but you definitely pulled it off. The lines are clean and the construction appears very solid. :thumbsup:

Is that about a 30 degree bevel on the edge of the top? I did something similar on a book case I am working on, but only a 7 degree bevel on mine.

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure on the angle. I actually made the cuts with my circular saw set at an arbitrary angle (probably around 30 degrees). Not the best way but turned out fine.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice. I love both of those woods!!

Question: when using solid board pieces like that top, how do you adequately secure it while still allowing for wood movement? Thanks.

Mark

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Burb said:
Very nice. I love both of those woods!!

Question: when using solid board pieces like that top, how do you adequately secure it while still allowing for wood movement? Thanks.

Mark
Hey Mark, thanks. Figure 8 clips. Here's a detail shot of the clips.

image-589102873.jpg

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
gthec said:
Hey Mark, thanks. Figure 8 clips. Here's a detail shot of the clips.
I can see how those are great for securing the top, but how of they allow for wood movement?

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burb said:
I can see how those are great for securing the top, but how of they allow for wood movement?
This is only woodwork project no.2 so I'll have to defer to the experts. I will say that as the top expands and contracts, the clips will pivot. A lot of folks suggest this as a tried and true method so why not?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
gthec said:
This is only woodwork project no.2 so I'll have to defer to the experts. I will say that as the top expands and contracts, the clips will pivot. A lot of folks suggest this as a tried and true method so why not?
That does make sense. My guess is when initially installed, they were put at a slight angle to allow for movement either way. Works for me. Thanks for your info. I appreciate it.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts