Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a collection of tools this evening, primarily for the stanley no# 93 rabbet plane. Included was half a dozen buck brothers marked plane blades, things must be close to 3/8" thick and fairly narrow. What they be for?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like they are early coffin plane blades. Also found a columbia blade with a fish on it dated 1868.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Bought a collection of tools this evening, primarily for the stanley no# 93 rabbet plane. Included was half a dozen buck brothers marked plane blades, things must be close to 3/8" thick and fairly narrow. What they be for?
When you say "fairly narrow" how narrow? Are the irons tapered? Slotted for a chip breaker?

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
The one you're holding sideways is about the same profile as the iron in an old coffin plane I have. It's got the chip-breaker, too. So they could be from coffin planes.
Yes, a chip breaker does not exclude it from a coffin plane - only means it is a more recent plane. They could very well be from coffins or small radius planes like a coach builder's plane or something along the lines of a jack. Any which way - certainly from a wooden body plane.

If you have any incline to build a wooden plane those are great irons to use! Chip breakers are not terribly difficult to make either.

Nice catch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, a chip breaker does not exclude it from a coffin plane - only means it is a more recent plane. They could very well be from coffins or small radius planes like a coach builder's plane or something along the lines of a jack. Any which way - certainly from a wooden body plane.

If you have any incline to build a wooden plane those are great irons to use! Chip breakers are not terribly difficult to make either.

Nice catch.
Excellent! The blades and I will be parting ways as soon as I get them cleaned and sharpened. A whole bunch of chip breakers floating around the box, not sure which all goes where so I'll be sorting them.

The iron for the 93 actually appears to be ok much to my surprise. Ive read they have a tendency to break.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts