Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a fire sprinkler system. One of them is brass plated and I think the other may be solid brass, I'm not sure. They're both roughly 5" in diameter.
I'm thinking I want to incorporate them into a woodworking project or projects somehow, but nothing quite as simple as a display case.

I want the project to have another function besides displaying the gauges... like maybe a lamp.

What would you guys do?
338_zpsec5c1882.jpg

339_zpsbb737920.jpg

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
My first thought was "do they work"
If so set one up to monitor your air compressor.
My brother has one out of an old steam plant. It must have a 8 inch dialface. Looks pretty cool in his mancave.
..Jon..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like some of the steampunk stuff... that's not a bad idea.

I don't know if they work or not but I see no reason to believe they wouldn't work... nothing looks cracked or broken, no rattles, etc.

The air compressor idea is not a bad one, but maybe I'll save that for when I have my own shop that I don't have to share with my dad... he is rather good at breaking my stuff.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Agree with above about...do they work?

But,posted to say...and this may be a little long.One of the really cool aspects of having a library is,it isn't all for books.When you have nice,well thought out shelving....make it adj(hiding pin holes)....what it affords you is:You get to leave out a shelf for hanging art work.It also works great for showing off cool stuff that you happen to like.In this case,I'd deffinately have a few of those old gauges laying on one of our "built-ins".

Even if the gauges work....they may not have a "home" yet.This is one more reason to have them displayed on/in the library.Heck,I use built-ins in our shop.....and there's some pretty neat stuff on them.Heres a quick shot or two of a built-in in our machineshop.It's got a lot more cool stuff on it now.The crown is from some "checked" wood that we pced together.Wasn't/can't be used for guns/bows.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts