Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am running with woodturning as I have done for many years.
I have a ploblem when I have turned schnapps glass, but the drinking spirits are leaking through the glas.
Do you have any tips for me?

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like you are in Norway. What is the wood?

Sounds like the grain is porous, especially where you have exposed end grain.

You need to get a better seal on the inner surface, perhaps thinned polyurethane. In the US we have a product called SealCoat which is a thin dewaxed shellac.

Alternate may be to use a different wood, with tighter grain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard somewhere that if you take plexiglass and break it down with acetone and then coat the inside with the mix. Never have done it so not sure about it. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
john lucas I would think a coat of thinned epoxy would work well.
Yesterday 11:30 PM

I don't want to hijack this post but!
how do you thin epoxy:nerd:

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,539 Posts
Another option is to stabilise the material in a vacuum tank and heat cure it. I have a Mesquiteman Cactus Juice system i use for pen blanks and small rough turned pieces. It fills the pores with polymer so should be pretty resistant to a lot of things. Theres a few systems out there or you can design your own fairly easily.

·
7,222 Posts
john lucas I would think a coat of thinned epoxy would work well.
Yesterday 11:30 PM

I don't want to hijack this post but!
how do you thin epoxy:nerd:
Epoxy can be thinned with solvent, e.g., acetone. Have to do a test to ensure it will still cure. May need more hardener to cure if thinned.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think alcohol will thin epoxy I haven't tried it. My west sytstem epoxy is pretty thin with the slow hardener as is. If you need it more viscous heat instead of thinning try heating it in a pan of water

1 - 11 of 11 Posts