Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I picked up a 30-40 krag rifle yesterday and the stock looks like it has smoke damage. It is all solid black. Now, I don't want to sand the stock as it has some special markings on it. I have tried citrastrip, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, and just plane ole elbow grease.
Any suggestions on what to try next to remove the smoke damage?
Thanks!!
Bill H

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
IF....the stock is "oil rotten",from years of folks getting oil on the wood during the cleaning process then;Its a well known problem when dealing with military arms.There are some recipes that are stds within that sector of gunstock "world".I can't remember as we don't work on them,but do have it written down somewhere?It may be as posted above...dunno.

Research,military oil rotten stocks.....should get plenty of reading.Good luck and be patient.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Keep checking.....your stock isn't the first stock where the markings are important.Theres a huge bag of tricks when dealing with this situation.You either do a bunch of research...combined with talking to some serious hobby'ists....or take it to a pro. and be prepared to drop as much $$ as you probably paid for the whole pkg.

And can't emphasise the networking enough here.Go to your local gunshop and check for any groups in your local area that are into competitive shooting with old military stuff.They will do you more good in a 1/2 hr than a months worth of reading on the net.BUT....do the latter as well.You need some basic knowlege when you are talking to pros.

Not saying you aren't....but politeness and honesty,and willingness to get your hands dirty will get your foot in more doors regarding this matter than money.Just sayin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.