Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been telling member Smith Brother that he should share some of his creations with you guys. Working with both wood and metal, he's made some really incredible pieces.

Since he's had some trouble posting images I'm posting these pictures for him at his request. From this point on, imagine that Smith Brother started this thread and interact with that in mind.

The descriptions of the projects are copy-paste of his own text that he emailed to me.

And... GO:

-----------------------------

1st. Fireplace I built, sculpture, screen, steel table to left, with sliding
drawer, exhaust tubing.

Wall Room Architecture House Interior design

2nd. Walnut dining table, grooved glass, solid walnut, with solid ebony
inlay corners.

Table Furniture Dining room Room Hardwood

3rd. Steel table, $22.00 in materials.

Furniture Chair Table Interior design Room

4th. Center piece, 4 branches, 9 test tube vases with holding rings welded
to wire, called 'OUT OF BALANCE'.

Purple Flower Violet Table Lavender

5th. Stainless steel 15" cross, I tig welded ends shut, hammered copper, and
took electrical bare copper wire and twisted with cordless drill to make my
rope. I have made 10 of these as commission work for a church.

Sword Furniture Symbol Cross

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more of his awesome work.

He's two more of his creations: his rocking rocket and a pair of tables he made. Dale, you should share some of your art deco models as well. They're very unique and very well done.

--------------------------

6th, Two Communion tables I have made for our church. I made a buck, glued
BENDING PLYWOOD, then applied bondo, sanded very smooth, then walnut veneer,
solid base, stainless steel support hold stained glass shelf. Glass has
slight long bevel on each end. During the week days they sit in lobby. I am
so Blessed to have been asked to make these.

Modern art Table Art Room Painting

7th. Wood and steel riding ROCKET SHIP for first grandson. Wood rockers
are painted to appear rusty. He sits on flat piece, hangs onto circle wing,
and rocks. It carries two flags, USA and INDIA, his Mother is American, born
in India, and is a wonderful wife and Mother. Over 100 hour build.

Alright, take it from here guys.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I just knew this guy was something special. Some very unique work there. Fantastic :thumbsup:. I would love to see his art deco models, too.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
WOW!!!! Dale, i'm impressed. Beautiful work man, i'm speechless. Are you sure you and Steve aren't kin. That's art right there. I am very impressed with your work. Now, quit holding-out on us with your projects, we need to see more!!!!!!

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Amazingly imaginative work.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks to Steve for posting.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Mating wood and metal adds just one more demension to creativity. Beautiful pieces...would love to see more.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thank You Steve,

Thank you all for the kind words, they mean a lot to me.

First let me say, I'm no better than the next person, with that said, I do believe in myself, and am Blessed with the desire to make things. LIKE MANY OF YOU.

I make lots of mistakes, but laugh at them, and move on. I have made gobs of items, and can truthfully say I work on something each day. My moto is "never boast, rarely rest".

At present I am 90% finished on an Art Deco Semi-truck-car-hauler. I am working from a rendering that was produced in 1941. It is the artists vision of the FUTURE OF TRUCKING. I have yet to make a single item from plans, it seems I am attracted/inspired by pictures, and off I go. I will impose on Steve to post a picture of the rendering, and then sprinkle in build pictures. DON'T WANT TO WEAR OUT MY WELCOME.

I love this site, and MOST of all, YOU ALL,,,,,

Dale in Indy

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem, Dale. I'm just glad you're finally letting these guys see some of your work.

Hey, what's the story with the rocking chair made of tubing that's to the right of the fireplace? Did you make that as well?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That my friend is a piece that I DID NOT MAKE.

It is a stunning stainless steel piece, we stopped in a very modern store one afternoon, and they were just putting it out on the floor. I said I want it, so I got it. It is very heavy, very well designed/made, and as far as we know the only one in Indy. Company that made it is no longer making it.

Steve, I just sent you an E with Art Deco pic, and info.

Thanks Steve, and NO, we aren't kin, hehehe. I'm sure we would be buddies though.

Dale in Indy

P.S. My heart has been heavy the past three weeks. Bride of 53 years has two nerves in spine pinched, and she has been through H---. She has cried herself out from terrible terrible pain, doctors finally found med to control pain, but WOW it broke my heart to see her suffer so much. She is in great health, just this issue. She get operated on soon. Sharon is a wonderful person, everyone loves Sharon......

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Dale, you truly are an artist. I enjoy seeing this type of work involving multiple mediums in a "normal" way. Keep up the great work and keep posting (or sending to Steve) these great creations.

P.S. My heart has been heavy the past three weeks. Bride of 53 years has two nerves in spine pinched, and she has been through H---. She has cried herself out from terrible terrible pain, doctors finally found med to control pain, but WOW it broke my heart to see her suffer so much. She is in great health, just this issue. She get operated on soon. Sharon is a wonderful person, everyone loves Sharon......
I am very sorry to hear this. Sharon is lucky to have you by her side. My wife suffers from sleeping issues and will occasionally go 3-5 days with only 60-90 minutes of sleep a night. Seeing loved ones suffer has got to be one of the worst things ever!!:thumbdown:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smith Brother

----------------------------------------

This is the Art Deco truck rendering I am working from, it was drawn in 1941, it is my inspiration,no plans, just the pic. It is 27” long, and will hold 4, 1/24 scale cars. Two inside, and two on top, if I decide to go that way.

Too many hours to talk about, but all FUN. The trailer is lined with thin sheet aluminum, and the floor will have gripping material for tires to ride roll on, and a long ramp. I am a Buick old car nut, I finished building a 1941 Limited custom in 1996, and recently purchased a 1946 Roadmaster which will remain stock. So models inside trailer will be BUICK…;

I made the jig to cut the slot/groove for trailer side trim, two hours to make jig, 2-minutes to run thru table saw with thin blade. It worked very well, hit my mark dead-on, SOMETIMES ONE GETS LUCKY. Aluminum trim slides in ½” groove, sticks out approx. 3/16”.

Build pic’s to follow, in a few. I sprayed the cab/tractor with RED color last night, checked it out under magnifying-light this morning, no shrinkage, so will color sand today with 1000 paper, and shoot clear. Trailer will be sprayed with WHITE primer to help make red brighter. IMO

Dale Smith
Indy

Vehicle Automotive design Car Classic car Concept car

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear about your wife's back. I deal with back pains too. But my pains aren't nearly as bad as Hher's. So I can't imagine what she must be going through. I hope it gets under control soon.

Also, I should mention that Dale has done some other art deco vehicle models as well. Hopefully he'll re-send me those pictures for you guys to enjoy, as I did. Maybe I just need to teach him how to re-size and post pictures. Maybe he won't hold back so much with the goods! :thumbsup: (I really don't mind posting them for you, Dale, if that's what it takes. So don't worry about that.)

I'm anxious to see how this model comes along. I've haven't see it either, only heard about it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wonderful use of your abilities; great, awesome projects. Keep them coming. All our best to your wife, she will be in our prayers...ken

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Wood, Metal and Glass....ALL the way :thumbsup:
That's some awesome work!!
Prays for your wife and you...it's tough to see a loved one suffer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank You Steve,

Thank you all for the kind words, they mean a lot to me.

First let me say, I'm no better than the next person, with that said, I do believe in myself, and am Blessed with the desire to make things. LIKE MANY OF YOU.

I make lots of mistakes, but laugh at them, and move on. I have made gobs of items, and can truthfully say I work on something each day. My moto is "never boast, rarely rest".

At present I am 90% finished on an Art Deco Semi-truck-car-hauler. I am working from a rendering that was produced in 1941. It is the artists vision of the FUTURE OF TRUCKING. I have yet to make a single item from plans, it seems I am attracted/inspired by pictures, and off I go. I will impose on Steve to post a picture of the rendering, and then sprinkle in build pictures. DON'T WANT TO WEAR OUT MY WELCOME.

I love this site, and MOST of all, YOU ALL,,,,,

Dale in Indy
I love your work and I cant wait to see you finish the Art Deco semi.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Dale,

Your work is inspiring, and very well thought out and executed. You have a real ability to blend 3 different substrates, and make them work well together.

I am so glad that you enjoy our forum as much as we do, and I really look forward to more of your insight, and projects as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, and my family will add you and your family to our prayer list, so that you can find the strength to endure this, and for a fast recovery. I, too, have chronic back issues, but have never had a pinched nerve. My wife has, and thanks to some witch doctor chiropractor, she got it "straightened" out.

Take care, and keep on keeping on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts