Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i use a scroll jigsaw to cut out small shapes like stars, birds, hearts etc - approx 5 inches across, 8mm deep or would i need to use a scroll saw?

Been using a hand coping saw but need something quicker

Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Can i use a scroll jigsaw to cut out small shapes like stars, birds, hearts etc - approx 5 inches across, 8mm deep or would i need to use a scroll saw?

Been using a hand coping saw but need something quicker

Thanks
As long as you can hold the saw steady and control the direction, you can use a jigsaw for anything!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Done properly anything is possible.

Hold the saw up side down in a vice or clamp it to a table. Then move the wood using the saw's foot as a very small table to cut out your shape while the blade is pointing straight up. Sort of a poor man's scroll saw. You could even build a special jig to hold the saw and provide a work surface with a hole for the blade to pass through.

Be extremely careful about eye balls and fingers. The idea is to remove unwanted wood while keeping body parts in place.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You can use a jigsaw as the others have stated, but a scroll saw will make things a whole lot easier. Keep watching craigslist in your area. I see scroll saws ranging from $50 - $300 on a daily basis around here. Even a cheap second hand one will be easier than the jigsaw method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts