Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Justin, it sounds like you're making progress. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the oak I used for my garage shelves was my 1st attempt at making box joints & I wanted to use a hardwood. I admit it's a little overdone for the garage & maybe I'll add some shallow drawers & seal it in the spring & take it into the house, who knows? It's only 24"x38" so the cost was nominal (with 1/4" oak ply backing probably under $50). The main investment was my time.

Struggling with cupped & warped wood is a pain, unless you have a jointer & I don't. At any rate, I don't know where you live, but there must be an affordable hardwood source somewhere in your area. The reclaimed wood suggestion seems to have already worked for you. If you can find an old farmer who wants an old barn removed, you might just strike gold.:smile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Justin, it sounds like you're making progress. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the oak I used for my garage shelves was my 1st attempt at making box joints & I wanted to use a hardwood. I admit it's a little overdone for the garage & maybe I'll add some shallow drawers & seal it in the spring & take it into the house, who knows? It's only 24"x38" so the cost was nominal (with 1/4" oak ply backing probably under $50). The main investment was my time.

Struggling with cupped & warped wood is a pain, unless you have a jointer & I don't. At any rate, I don't know where you live, but there must be an affordable hardwood source somewhere in your area. The reclaimed wood suggestion seems to have already worked for you. If you can find an old farmer who wants an old barn removed, you might just strike gold.:smile:
I wouldn't call it overdone at all! When I get to the point where I'm more confident with my joinery, I plan on making some workshop storage items and hope they turn out just as nice!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Very Impressive

Exceedingly neat and orderly.

I am a firm believer of a neat and clean shop. It safer and more productive with less chance of dents and dings from 'stuff' laying around. When working in my shop, I sweep and clean up at least twice a day ( about 10 min. each time ) and blow down at the end of the day. I always know where everything is and if something drops, I can find it.

You do know that there are photo albums on this site, don't you?
It would be nice if you put your shop in an album with your profile.
I feel that photos add to one's credibility.

Great job.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks, Tony. I feel the same way about a clean shop. It's safer & for some reason I just think more clearly when I'm not stumbling over tools or bumping into things. And, no, I didn't know about the photo album option (I just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago), and I appreciate your suggestion. Thanks again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Windstorm,

Very nice work. I am going to bookmark this link for future projects.

Small shops make a person be more organized.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
windstorm said:
... The box joint shelves for my stains & varnishes was my first attempt at doing box joints & I think I'll build some little drawers for the bottom 2 compartments...
Nice shop!

I just saw a woodworking tip about building drawers.

In a nutshell you build a closed box (two bottoms) twice the height of the finished drawers.

Then set your TS fence to center on the box and blade height to almost cut through the sides of the box. Cut all four sides and finish the cuts with a fine handsaw.

Viola! Two drawers.

I've used this method for box and lid but hadn't though to use it for matching drawers.

Twice the drawers for half the effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a newbie and I got the woodworking bug. I recently purchased a Bosch router and a Ryobi table saw. So, I've decided I needed to organize my workshop (my small corner of the garage.) I am installing a French cleat system. It is giving me some experience with using the table saw and other tools. It is also a creative outlet to build some storage accessories to hang on the wall. One bonus has been that I am finding all sorts of tools, bits, and doo-dads that I thought I had lost. I guess my son becomes the lucky recipient of all the duplicates I have purchased over the years!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love your shops and pictures.
My shop is run by 3 rules:
#1 if you can find it you are wasting to much time organizing
#2 if you can't find it, buy another one
#3 if you can not afford another one, ask the wife where you put it.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Love your shops and pictures.
My shop is run by 3 rules:
#1 if you can find it you are wasting to much time organizing
#2 if you can't find it, buy another one
#3 if you can not afford another one, ask the wife where you put it.
About the only times my wife comes into my shop is when I call her out to help me find something I've lost. Surprisingly, she can nearly always find it. She always starts by asking me if I've checked my pockets.
If it's something large, I have to describe it for her. Even if she doesn't know what it is she can usually find it.
Now how does that work?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.