Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't generally go through Home Depo Menards or Lowes tool section because they have nothing I need.. don't need clamps and generally will pop in there to get a replacement if something I broke.

Before Covid they had dropped the price of Dewalt and Milwaukee small parts storage units from about $24 to $20. Now that Covid came and has been around awhile, the prices not only went back to $24 and they have introduced more units , slim packages up in the $40 range.,

Since Covid it seems like everything went on the rise, with no going back..
Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Tire

·
Smart and Cool
2,481 Posts
I use tackle organizers, used to be Plano, looks like they are no longer available, others that are similar are, about $7 each.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hmmmm! This may be a project with your excess lumber. Before there was store bought storage, there was custom made storage. I inherited these and hope to install them in the near future. They hang from the bottom of a shelf or other appropriate overhang. The glass jars are heavy, so I will replace the glass with plastic containers.
First 2 pics reveals the basic construct, jars are 1/2 pint.
https://flic.kr/p/2mAvBMw https://flic.kr/p/2mAAdXH
Pic of 1/4 pint jars on middle shelf.
https://flic.kr/p/2mAyYH6
Pics of pint size jars and replacement mayonnaise jars.
https://flic.kr/p/2mAvAW3 https://flic.kr/p/2mAvC3w
Sonny

·
That Guy
488 Posts
Ice cream jars! My wife and I had to eat a lot of ice cream (60 jars so far) but then I made some cabinets out of scrap lumber and Voila!

Up above are cabinets with plastic trays for other hardware. The trays come from Ikea for a few dollars each and agin I built cabinets from scraps.

I've been saving and sorting all my life, I never throw away a piece of hardware and now I rarely need to go to the hardware store, I just look through my stock.
Furniture Shelf Building Shelving Wood

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
What you need is consistency! You need jars, cans or containers that are the same size and or height. This allow you to stack trays on top of one another for the "vertical" advantage. Like these:
Watch Automotive tire Tableware Product Dishware

Photograph Green Storage basket Basket Food storage containers

Shelf Shelving Building Wood Publication

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Gas Engineering

Product Cosmetics Turmeric Paint Material property

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I recently saw some storage cases with removable bins a video (Shop Nation).

I really like that idea.

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cant store as much as many of you. I bought out a construction storage unit one time and stored these fasteners for years. I finally broke down and eliminated most of this stuff. I'm down to 4-5 Milwaukee, Dewalt amd Husky cantilever storage compartments.

What I haven't understood is the small part containers from Milwaukee are getting slimmer and costing almost twice as much...

I had several glass baby food containers in my shop. I got rid of all of them. No more glass containers for me...

·
Registered
722 Posts
The past several years HD had these Dewalt cases in the $10 - $12 range around Black Friday. Last year I think the sale started in mid-November.

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm talking about the price jump. Model Milwaukee 48-22-8431 $44.97

I've seen many ways to store stuff and I realized it was cheaper to get rid of it and not store it at all
Forehead Hair Hairstyle Smile Facial expression

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
Large or small parts?
I bought several small parts containers from Harbor Freight that are very similar to the Dewalts and only $9.00:
Rectangle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Font Toy

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I originally bought into it. I bought Dewalt and then Milwaukee. Then I bought the Husky and was much happier. I realized it was becoming an expense just to store this stuff. So I stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I'm just blowing off. I couldn't believe the price jump on some of this stuff. Make it smaller , charge double..

From what I've been seeing, what I payed new for my Unisaw I can get used today. I guess I'm just not up to date...When you stop working or buying you lose track of pricing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is what I started using. They fit inside drawers in my base cabinets Got tired or all the different size stuff. Cost about $0.60 each
Head Liquid Eye White Light

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did something similar bit I think the drawer is becoming more valuable for other things.
Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Cuisine Automotive lighting

·
Registered
61 Posts
Harbor Freight has many storage cases and price is okay for now. Don't know how things will be priced in the future with all that's happening to production and transportation these days.

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The way prices are getting up there. I hated for people just getting into woodworking, but I guess the pay is better for many..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I don't need more small storage cases and containers for managing small parts. What I need is a very patient person who can come over to my home to sort and organize several big jars and drawers full of random loose screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

-> Don't wait! The position is open and available. Apply now!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts