Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, wasn't sure where to post this. If it's the wrong area please feel free to move it, or delete it and let me know.

With that said, stoked I found this place! Have had an issue bugging me for ages now and hoping one of the many wood workers here can help.

I am looking for a magnet that is under 3mm in height, and 1/4" in diameter...

If anyone has any thoughts/advice. I can do slotting, but I want to toy with magnets to keep what I am making closed.

The item being made is a 4.5" x 3" case that is 1/2" deep. Sliced in half I want to use the magnets to keep it shut.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I get mine on ebay.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I get my small rare earth magnets at a store called Hobby Lobby. Not too expensive and they range in size from 1" dia. to 1/8" dia. Very thin too.

This is one of the first projects I ever made so no laughing. I counter bored 4 holes on the back side and epoxied four 1" dia. rare earth magnets into the holes. It sticks to the side of my fridge. The magnets are so strong I could hang a 6-pack on it without it sliding down.

keys.jpg

Rare earth magnets are the way to go. If one is not strong enough you can simply stack them up. The more you have in a line the stronger the magnetic field. The ones I get at Hobby Lobby are all round and flat disk shape but there are online sources that have much greater variety.

magnets.jpg

Considering most projects don't need many of them the price isn't bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts