Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into woodworking & attended Palomar College in San Marcos CA as a mature student - Great tutors! OK enough of the advertising.. My project for this year is a Sofa Cabinet with 4 small (16"x 21") solid wood doors (plywood not allowed!)made from African mahogany. I made the doors using Cope & Stick router bits etc for the Rails & Stiles. I have a problem with one door there is a slight twist from one corner to the opposite one so that when it is hung it does not close evenly. Tried clamping with cauls etc for a few days but no change. Apart from re-making the doors any good suggestions please??

Thanks!;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
ASIDE from remaking the door,

If its a slight enough twist maybe you can run it through the planer. Id remake the door though and clamp it flat.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You have entered the great internal debate. Can it be fixed or modified? Should it be scrapped.
If you can blame the outcome on your wife, I say live with it. Otherwise (and my suggestion is) scrap it and consider it a lesson learned. This is most likely to happen while the assembly is clamped waiting for the glue to dry. Too much clamping pressure will unseat the best of joints and cause the stock to roll out of plane. Try clamping over the top and bottom ends rather than over the face of the door. It almost guarantees even clamping pressure between the inside and outside surfaces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cope & Twist etc..

ASIDE from remaking the door,

If its a slight enough twist maybe you can run it through the planer. Id remake the door though and clamp it flat.
I would remake the door if I could glue all the many offcuts I've got to make the parts I need! I may just bite the bullet & buy another board..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cope & Twist etc..

Thanks guys, for the suggestions, I tried the wife route, but for some reason it went down like a lead balloon! :huh:

Oh, well I guess I will have to spring for another board..

Regards

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the door was flat when you built/installed it , then the prob. may be the lumber wasn't fully dry (7%mc).
If that were the case, the outside of the door was exposed to the room environment more than the inside of the door.
Sometimes opening the door, leave it open, and the inside face will dry and may straighten a little.

If you remake the door, check the lumber for proper mc.

jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cope & Stick problem solved (almost)

Ok guys, I re made the door & with little shimming of a hinge I finally have all doors hanging fitting properly! Many thanks for all your help!

Now my wife is talking about another project...

:glare:

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts