Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Against my better judgment, I decided to order a brand new saw blade from Amazon. I know their packing isn't the best, and this time was no exception. There are about 4 or 5 small chips about the size of the one pictured.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Not acceptable to me. The chip shown looks if the pointy tip is gone....if that's a Hi-ATB grind (like on a Fusion P410), it sort of negates some of the benefit of that grind. Call Amazon, and/or show them the pics and request a replacement. It may still work fine, but I'd definitely give getting a replacement a shot.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was really hoping you'd be the one to answer. It's boxed up and the return label is printed!

Let's see how many times it takes to get a good one. For future reference, where would you recommend I buy blades?

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
Amazon is a distributor, not a manufacturer

That don't look right! Good thing I don't order blades on amazon.
So, where do you order blades from, Gus?
I've got mine from amazon with no problems.
There are plenty of great deals on Amazon and I'm a big fan, a bought lots of tools and cutters. The blade looks like it may be a Freud, red in color...? It would be good to know exactly what blade, model and manufacturer.... :yes:

Their return policy is good, so I wouldn't beat up on them, just return/exchange it for a new one.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, it's a Freud P410. Between reading an old post by knotscott and an article in WOOD magazine, I thought it might be a better fit for me than the Forrest WW2. The fact that they were so close in performance and the fact that it was $80 and the WW2 was $127 didn't hurt. I know I'll pay for it later since the more aggressive Freud will need sharpening a bit sooner.

I really didn't think I absolutely needed a blade, the $30 Ridgid Titanium that came with the saw(that's also chipped to hell) actually cuts quite nicely. I just cut this 20 minutes ago:

But, before I make the first cut into my crosscut sleds that I've bled over, I want it to be with a blade I know I'll have a while.

New blade will be here in the morning and they'll take the blade pictured above. If it's ANY better, I'll probably just use it and see how it does, even if there is a chip or two.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I really didn't think I absolutely needed a blade, the $30 Ridgid Titanium that came with the saw(that's also chipped to hell) actually cuts quite nicely.

TIME OUT ! ! !

Why is the titanium blade chipped? To me that's a HUGE red flag. Is the blade hitting something in the saw? Did you cut into a nail?

I think that you need to find out why the blades are chipped before you put another blade in the saw.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait, so you're saying I shouldn't just power through nails? When I see sparks I just push harder cuz you gotta git 'er dunn. I figger the less time the blade is touching metal the better. {/kidding}

When I got the saw a few months ago, I wondered how in the hell there were numerous nicks in the metal throat plate. Until I watched this video: http://youtu.be/ARyyIdi5Qnc?t=5m11s

The previous owner said he was selling for his aunt who's husband had died. Said uncle was supposedly more than a little bit 'special'. Once we started to disassemble the saw, the seller was surprised that the uncle could have figured out how to assemble the saw to begin with. I found several things missing/backwards, so that's entirely believable. I think since I'm only a little bit special, maybe I'll take advantage of better technique.

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
Question ....

Against my better judgment, I decided to order a brand new saw blade from Amazon. I know their packing isn't the best, and this time was no exception. There are about 4 or 5 small chips about the size of the one pictured.
Has this blade been installed or used on the saw prior to this OR is this how it looked right out of the package?

New blades should have no chips obviously. :no:

If you install the blade and slowly spin the saw with the throat insert removed ...can you see any thing that may have touched the teeth inside the saw cabinet?

If you are cutting wood with brads or nails, you can't expect zero damage to the teeth, no matter what your feeding procedure is. Metal and carbide do not mix. Sparks indicate metal. :thumbdown:

If the chips are all on one side that would explain a nail having been in the way during the cut. If you MUST cut material with metal hidden use an old blade and wear safety glass at all times. Also a hot piece of metal may fall into the saw cabinet causing a fire. Avoid
cutting metal with your table saw if at all possible. :yes:

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
When I got the saw a few months ago, I wondered how in the hell there were numerous nicks in the metal throat plate. Until I watched this video: http://youtu.be/ARyyIdi5Qnc?t=5m11s
OK, I feel much better about your safety now!

Basically you bought the saw from someone that never should have bought the saw in the first place. :thumbdown:

Obviously you are thinking about how you're using the saw and how others have used the saw incorrectly. Don't ever stop doing this, thinking is your best safety device.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, got the new blade. It's actually quite worse. There are more chips. :(

In addition to the pictured chips, there were a few smaller ones right on the pointy tip, some places there one chip right after the other.

Has this blade been installed or used on the saw prior to this OR is this how it looked right out of the package?
No. Never used the blade. Fresh from Amazon.com

New blades should have no chips obviously. :no:
That's what I thought.

If you install the blade and slowly spin the saw with the throat insert removed ...can you see any thing that may have touched the teeth inside the saw cabinet?
Nada. Free and clear. The current blade lightly brushes against the oak zero clearance plate. Although, I'm pretty sure what cause the chips on the Ridgid blade were kickbacks.

If you are cutting wood with brads or nails, you can't expect zero damage to the teeth, no matter what your feeding procedure is. Metal and carbide do not mix. Sparks indicate metal. :thumbdown:
I've never cut ferrous metals with a table saw, that I'm aware of.

If the chips are all on one side that would explain a nail having been in the way during the cut. If you MUST cut material with metal hidden use an old blade and wear safety glass at all times. Also a hot piece of metal may fall into the saw cabinet causing a fire. Avoid
cutting metal with your table saw if at all possible. :yes:
The chips on the new blades are on both sides. I forgot to notice which side(s) the chips on the old blade were on.

OK, I feel much better about your safety now!

Basically you bought the saw from someone that never should have bought the saw in the first place. :thumbdown:

Obviously you are thinking about how you're using the saw and how others have used the saw incorrectly. Don't ever stop doing this, thinking is your best safety device.
Exactly. I know people are going to have accidents, I just want mine to not involve the table saw blade.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't get it....that takes a fair amount of damage to do that to a blade. How was it packed?

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both blades were packed in a way so that the blade is free and clear to slide around on the very bottom of the box, with nothing between the blade package and the cardboard. There are 2 strips of air pillow things placed on top of the blade, so if you open the box from the label side, you would pull those out first. I always opened from the bottom, and the blade was the first thing there.

Even so, I'm like you. I would have thought that carbide being twice as hard as steel would have been strong enough to withstand shipping in a cardboard box. I suppose it is quite brittle, too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A lot of the stuff on amazon is reconditioned or seconds. These could possibly be new blades that didn't pass some sort of inspection. I don't know just thinking out loud.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't see how they chipped when in the cardboard package. Amazon does a pretty good job identifying refurbs or rejects usually...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts