Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beginner Wood Work Woman
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making an exterior sign approximately 4x6, and am need of some helpful advice on the following. (I have wisconsin weather)

1. MDO board?
2. What primer or paint is best? I would like to paint it black.
3. What adhesive should I attach my wooden letters with?
4. What should I put over the to of it to seal it before I nail it up?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A search for exterior mdo and painting exterior mdo gave a lot of information. I have no experience painting it but would use the best gloss paint you can get. You can glue it with something like tight bond III or use an epoxy. Can you glue and screw the letters from the back side? I am thinking wooden letter. If you are using a different material letter this may not work.

Make sure the edges are painted well or wrapped in a banding wood.

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
I'm making an exterior sign approximately 4x6, and am need of some helpful advice on the following. (I have wisconsin weather)

1. MDO board?
2. What primer or paint is best? I would like to paint it black.
3. What adhesive should I attach my wooden letters with?
4. What should I put over the to of it to seal it before I nail it up?
Welcome, I know your looking for answers for a problem but here's the deal. This is a woodworking forum and it is usually nice if people start with an intro. After reading you question I'm not sure you will be around after you get your answer and since I use to make signs. Here's my advice.

Unless its new MDO is always an exterior plywood with a medium density overlay finish. Its either good one side or both and can be bought primed already. It is used for high way signs during construction as well as many shop signs.

Any exterior primer is good. Its mostly because that papered finish can really soak up paint. Get the edges really good but i have pulled signs out of water after days of getting soaked and no damage was apparent.

Any exterior paint will do but with dark colors especially you want a premixed color rather than having a color mixed. I would also suggest an industrial paint Pit-tech is a good one but a good exterior house paint such as Behr or other brand that has a premixed black will do.

Liquid nail construction adhesive works well for placing letters on signs. You didn't say what the letters will be made of. Wood will last longest, foam and HD Foam letters will get torn up by birds and weather. Plastic letters can be applied with the same adhesive as mentioned. Titebond II or III would not be on my list to recommend.

You can paint the while board first then apply the letters for a better look. This can sometimes create a problem with the adhesive because of the paint if its not cured good before applying letters.

·
Beginner Wood Work Woman
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you for your help! I'm not sure what you meant when you said I won't be around here long, but that didn't come across very nice, especially when you said it would be nice if I started off with an intro. Well it's apparent that I was interested in this site, which is the reason for my signing up. When a person is new, usually that means they aren't familiar with how everything is suppose to work, and a good friendly welcome with helpful advice is the best way. If this is my response from the majority of the people on here, then your right I will be gone. But, if the people are on here to share their passion and help others, then I am staying put because I have a lot to offer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is nice to see another Wisconsinite! What part of Wisconsin are you from? I live about an hour north of Madison.

Please stick around! It can be difficult to communicate tone on a message board. Everyone here is very nice and helpful. The contibuters do expect people to participate in their own threads. It is not uncommon to see a brand new user post a question and then disappear without providing any feedback on the advice they get. It gets frustrating.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. It is nice to have you here.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts