Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a fairly complicated glue up coming soon and I was wondering if there is any kind of glue that has a long or extended set up time. I don't want to rush through the glue up but I understand that most Titebonds set up fairly quickly. Once I get it assembled, I'm not in a hurry for the glue to set; I could leave it clamped together for days if I needed to.

Alternatively, is there any kind of additive you can mix with Titebond to slow the set up time?

Thanks for any info.

Kevin H.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Titebond 3 will give you around 1/2 hour of working time. Plastic resin glue (you mix powder with water) can provide up to 4 hours of working time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JohnV: do you have a source or brand name for the plastic resin glue you mention?

Brian H: I've never seen Titebond "Extend." Do you know where I can get some on-line?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try epoxy

You can get epoxy that set anywhere from 5 minutes to 24 hours! I used to build radio controlled boats and I used a epoxy on the inside of the boats before I put the deck sheeting on and it had a working time of 60 to 90 minutes. That allowed me time enough to get the frame trued up and braced in the jig and 24 hours later it is cured!:yes: You can try building
supply houses but you would probably have better luck at a hobby shop.
The stuff is very strong and easy to work with!:thumbsup: Doug

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everybody, for your helpful replies. I chose to go the Titebond II Extend route and it worked very well. My wife and I were able to apply the glue and then clamp up the sides of the crib in plenty of time with the Extend.

FYI, the Extend is kind of milky white - reminds me of Kaopectate (yuck) - and a little more runny than regular Titebond II. It goes on easily with a flux brush and is still quite workable even after 20 minutes. In all I was very happy with it.

Kevin H.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I was told the Titebond Hide glue was a slow drying glue. Any comments on it?
All hide glues are slow setting, but they have significantly different characteristics that other glues and personally, I don't like them at all. I used some many years ago when starting out in woodworking, but gave up on them pretty quickly. Luthiers swear by them because one of their "good" points is that you can get the joints apart again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts