Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unfortunately , I only have a few hand held power tools, such as a circular saw etc. And I dont have a workshop, so I have to wait till the weather is fine enough to set up my work bench outside - but thanks for the tip. One day when I can get a good set up, I'll do that

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you find a good deal on a router then look around for a 9mm straight router bit with 1/4" shank. Likely online as I've never found metric bits at my local sources. Otherwise a 1/4" straight bit and two passes can make a 9mm wide slot. Something to clamp down a straight edge (a couple of small C-clamps) and place to set your coffee while you work. Before I had a shop space I bought a Black and Decker Workmate folding bench. I still have it and use it often. Great work holding built in.
4D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yep. Plywood thickness is a guessing game. I had a student several years ago make a chair from stacked layers of
3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood. We hadn't come across much metric material then and the student sliced his 3D model into 3/4" slabs that we cut out on our new (at that time) CNC. Of course all the BB was 18mm thick and when stacked together left his final prototype only 94.5ish% as thick front to back as he expected. The last semester I taught a student of mine wanted to apply oak veneer to both sides of BB plywood before we cut out her project parts. I needed to know the actual thickness to set up the toolpaths. She proudly informed me that it would be 19mm. Having learned this lesson several times before I took a micrometer to her panels and found the average thickness with veneer was closer to 17.5mm. So you can't rely on 18mm baltic birch to be 18mm thick. You likely can't rely on 9mm plywood to be 9mm thick consistently. If the plywood is close to 9mm, then cut a 9mm slot. You can sand the surface a little where the slots intersect if they seem too snug.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts