Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I a beginner and I have been researching sliding miter saws for a while, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger on purchasing one. Granted, I am a DIY'er and hobbyist and I definitely have a lot to learn. But I don't want to get stuck with a cheap miter saw and essentially get 1 saw for the price of 2.

I just want something that is good quality, and won't have any issues out of the box. I read some negative reviews on almost every saw stating that the saw had to be callibrated or the angles weren't cutting perfectly. I have no idea how to even test or adjust that? Is that something I will have to learn?

I am looking for advice on a sliding compund miter saw. My only requirement is that it is good out of the box and good quality. 10" at least, but I would consider a 12"

Budget isn't a big concern, but I would like to keep it $500 or under.

Thanks in advance!!

·
where's my table saw?
29,161 Posts
Amazon.com: Bosch 4410 10-Inch Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw: Home Improvement
I have a Bosch like this. $550.00 in your price range, 4 out of 5 stars. The cool thing about Amazon is you can read reviews of the tools at the bottom. I love mine. My other saw is a 12" Dewalt. It's fine, but I like the Bosch better. :thumbsup: bill
BTW Bosch never made a "bad" tool in my opinion. I also have their job site Table Saw, model 4000, another great tool. As well as their jig saw.
Cheaper.. http://www.reconditionedtools.com/f...12-rt,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=bosch-saws

Reactions: farmerbill

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,514 Posts
I have the DeWalt, 12" compound sliding miter and have been very happy with it, and have had no problems at all. Calibrating a tool, however, is something that you are going to have to do at some point in time or another. Even if a tool comes bang on accurate right out of the box, after normal use and wear and tear, the tool can go a little out of whack. I'm not sure as to why you are set on a miter saw, especially if you are concerned on angles. Using your table saw, with a quality miter gauge can produce reapeatable accurate results for angle cutting on much larger stock. This is just another option for you, if you are only buying the miter saw to cut things like picture frames and such. A table saw with a nice miter gauge will do the same thing and then some.
By the way, it doesn't matter what saw you look up on the internet, every one of them will have some kind of bad press. People just love to complain.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm in lumberyards and woodworking stores almost everyday for work. The most popular miter saws that I see sold or recommended are Bosch and Makita. Not a lot of DeWalt in the pro channel anymore. I have a DeWalt chop saw and think it works just fine though.

·
woodbutcherer
610 Posts
They usually come with a plastic right angle triangle, but I like a little bit bigger (10") drafting square. Its basically loosen a couple of bolts or screws, push/pull the fence where it needs to be, tighten the bolts/screws. As far as squaring the blade vertically. Normally just a set screw either in or out a small amount. Different brands may vary, but the manual should walk you through it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
+ 1 on the Makita Here is why:

My uncle is a a carpenter by trade. He uses his sliding miter saw every day. He has the Makita. Here is the amazing thing: It is 17 years old and counting!:eek: That saw is still holding up. This prompted me to buy one. I never looked back.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Anyone ever heard anything about the Hitachi saw?

I have a couple of their tools, drill and circular saw, and they seem sturdy, well made (in Japan), seem to have lots of excess power.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
BTW Bosch never made a "bad" tool in my opinion.
Not to hammer on Bosch specifically, but each and every tool MFG has put out some sort of garbage or other. The reviews that are starting to come in on that new articulating frame sliding miter saw aren't looking so good... I figure it is just bugs they are working out on the initial production run or something. Bosch is usually top of the line stuff...

To the OP, no matter the brand or model you get, you are going to need to learn to calibrate any and all of your tools shy of box wrenches, hammers, and screwdrivers... It's the nature of the beast...

Miter saws can be calibrated using drafting triangles. I have a set one with a 45 deg, the other 15 and 30, check against those, test cut, verify repeat until adjusted right. Depending on the saw, but the adjustments are typically just a bolt here or there...

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Anyone ever heard anything about the Hitachi saw?

I have a couple of their tools, drill and circular saw, and they seem sturdy, well made (in Japan), seem to have lots of excess power.
Not familiar with their miter saws, but I have 2 of the KM12VC routers and love them, as well as a Hitachi Jig Saw that I tend to borrow from a friend a LOT... Great tools. I need to buy my own jig saw. My old Skil jig saw is a POS...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have their jig saw, use it all the time with my artwork.

Not a bad saw - but I'm not overly fond of the T-shank blade holder, I find that it tends to false seat. That is look and feel like it's seated, but under load it pops out.

·
The Young Blood
550 Posts
I've just got the DeWALT 10" miter saw. It doesn't slide, but does bevel. I love it, it seems to hold its readouts accurately. I've used the 12" double bevel model that slides, and I also love it. They are on the more pricey side, but you can't go wrong with it IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts