Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using sliding miter saws, do you typically get major saw marks when using the sliding feature? I have a new DeWalt 780 and when I use the slide for a cut, there are very visible saw marks. However, when I simply cut straight down, the edge is beautiful. I'm wondering if I'm getting blade deflection during the cut. I am using a new Freud thin kerf 12" cross cut blade.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Are you pulling the saw all the way out before entering the wood and then pushing it into the wood or are you plunging it into the wood and then pulling it toward you like it was a radial arm saw?

Sliding miters should be pulled out and then pushed back into the wood, not plunged in and then pulled out.

I use a Freud 80 tooth thin kerf blade in my 10" sliding miter saw and get nice clean cuts every time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pulling the saw all the way out, then lowering the blade, then entering the wood as i pushed the blade back. And i made sure the blade was up to speed before starting the cut.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I slide all the way past the board then all the way down the slowly ease into the board. No marks on mine. Sometimes I cut or rip boards up to 24 inches cause I don't have a table saw, when I do that I go all the way out slowly go into it then flip board over and do the same thing. Perfect cuts

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
After checking the blade alignment, use a negative hook blade for miter saws and you should get smooth cuts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts