Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another thread I'm about to build a shop. Very excited!!! I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and love the sleds I've seen several of these guys use. However, a lot of the pieces I cut are longer and in the past I've used my sliding miter saw to cut. Anyway, since I'll have a permanent work area now with tables built around my TS I plan on using it much more. I like the idea of a sled but that changes the height of what you are cutting in relation to your support tables. Anyone have this problem? What was your solution?

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Perhaps instead of a sled you need a radial arm saw. It would be difficult to make a sled to cut long lengths. I sometimes too will use a cheater board made like a T-Square and cut long lengths with a hand held circular saw.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lola Ranch said:
you just need a longer sled, like this
That's exactly what I was thinking. That looks great. Would you put another slot in your side table for the longer slide? When you get a chance can you post the dimensions of your tables (just tops)? And if you would've done something different?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure I see the problem. I have cut long pieces on my normal size sled. I just clamp the piece to the sled to ensure it stay flat on the sled bed.
Tom

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. That looks great. Would you put another slot in your side table for the longer slide? When you get a chance can you post the dimensions of your tables (just tops)? And if you would've done something different?
it's about 5' long and 19" wide. I would not add any slots. It works quite well with the slots in the saw.

Bret

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lola Ranch said:
it's about 5' long and 19" wide. I would not add any slots. It works quite well with the slots in the saw. Bret
Dimensions of your tables around your saw? I'm about to build something similar and love the looks of yours. Anything you would change? Size wise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whatever thickness you make the "table" of your sled out of, just add a peice that thickness to your side table. Screw it on, unscrew when you're not using the sled. Now that I think of it, I never do that. I usually break up my sheets into smaller pieces before they go in the sled. And if I'm crosscut ting something long I just do something crude to raise the support 1/2"

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lola Ranch said:
Its very light, just 1/2" plywood. Makes it easy to hang on the wall when not in use. I have another large sled made with 1/2" MDF which is much heavier.
Just wondering because I made mine out of 3/4" MDF and it weighs a ton.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts