Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have couple of slabs I am going to use for a bench top that are about 4 ½” thick. They are checked and I plan on using Dutchmans to minimize further checking. I would also like a flat surface, so I plan on filling the cracks with epoxy. Right now, I am leaning towards EnviroTex Lite. Does any on have any input on this product or a recommendation of a better product?

·
7,222 Posts
A number of threads on using Enviro-tek. Just need to search the forum.

One example.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/enviro-tek-light-epoxy-not-hardening-up-help-39176/

I would use a router sled to get the surface flat and then apply normal polyurethane. Easier to re-apply in a few years to fix the scratches which will happen over time.

4 1/2in is a very thick top. I hope you have let the moisture content get in equilibrium with the house, otherwise you will have future cracks.

Dutchmen can help, but with this thickness, if too much movement from moisture gain or more likely loss, then it can break the dutchman.

The dutchmen are normally 1/3 - 1/2 the thickness of the top.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A number of threads on using Enviro-tek. Just need to search the forum.

One example.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/enviro-tek-light-epoxy-not-hardening-up-help-39176/

I would use a router sled to get the surface flat and then apply normal polyurethane. Easier to re-apply in a few years to fix the scratches which will happen over time.

4 1/2in is a very thick top. I hope you have let the moisture content get in equilibrium with the house, otherwise you will have future cracks.

Dutchmen can help, but with this thickness, if too much movement from moisture gain or more likely loss, then it can break the dutchman.

The dutchmen are normally 1/3 - 1/2 the thickness of the top.
Thanks for your response. I am planning on using a router sled to flatten the surface. The slab has been drying for over two years (according to the person I bought it from). I might buy a meter to make it is dry enough. It is also going to be workbench top and will live in my garage. It has been in my garage for over two months now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
slab top

Hey cps my old furniture man here in town says one year of air drying for each inch of thickness for your slab. He says anything faster that that equasion for air drying will still move on you......:yes:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey cps my old furniture man here in town says one year of air drying for each inch of thickness for your slab. He says anything faster that that equasion for air drying will still move on you......:yes:

Yes, I have heard that as a rule of thumb also. I also read a few threads that indicate that it usually doesn't take a year per inch. I think I will get a moisture meter just to make sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts