Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

This might seem rudimentary, but that's just my level.

I'm making cabinet doors, and want to use flat, slab doors in my beaded face frames. I absolutely LOVE beaded cabinets and the simplicity of the inset slab doors.

Now, making the slab. Do I just biscuit and plane pieces of wood? I don't like battens, so I'm not going that route.

Any advice I can't think of would be really appreciated.
Thank you!

Christine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dining advice

1) Biscuits - breakfast (CHECK)
2) Plywood - oh, how nice (CHECK)
3) face it - edge banding you mean (kinda check!)

I'm kinda having fun with this biscuit thing. Zit! Zit! great little holes that fit together so well!

But I bow to advice!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
1) Biscuits - breakfast (CHECK)
2) Plywood - oh, how nice (CHECK)
3) face it - edge banding you mean (kinda check!)

I'm kinda having fun with this biscuit thing. Zit! Zit! great little holes that fit together so well!

But I bow to advice!
For the plywood, if you want a beadboard slab, you could use ½" plywood, and glue to the face ⅛" beadboard sheet. Or make a wood frame and use the beadboard as an insert panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beaded? No.

No. The last thing in the world I want is a beadboard door.
A beaded frame has a single bead along the inside of the frame. It's a very traditional look.

Oh, goodness. Beadboard? I never, ever mentioned beadboard. Nor would I. Just in case someone might misunderstand ... this.
But thank you for the idea. I know that method for making Shaker doors and others with detail inside the frame of the door.

So. With that in mind, still plywood - perhaps with edgebanding? because there's no reason to face a slab door unless I'm using MDF, which I haven't thought of because it's so heavy. Veneering that would be a no-brainer, but eh. Seems counterproductive.

Thanks.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
No. The last thing in the world I want is a beadboard door.
A beaded frame has a single bead along the inside of the frame. It's a very traditional look.

Oh, goodness. Beadboard? I never, ever mentioned beadboard. Nor would I. Just in case someone might misunderstand ... this.
But thank you for the idea. I know that method for making Shaker doors and others with detail inside the frame of the door.

So. With that in mind, still plywood - perhaps with edgebanding? because there's no reason to face a slab door unless I'm using MDF, which I haven't thought of because it's so heavy. Veneering that would be a no-brainer, but eh. Seems counterproductive.

Thanks.
Sorrry...thought you meant beadboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soo.....

No need for biscuits. A properly done glue joint is stronger than the wood. :smile:
So... just checking.
"Properly done glue joint" is what? Just sticking two edges together, gluing and clamping? I know end grains don't do this, so I'm not doing that. However, since I'm learning on my own, what is "properly?"

Thanks.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts