Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try something a little different at out club. The way it is now club members bring in a bowl set it on the table and their are the usual comments and at times the new kid on the block bowl get looked at without much comment. We do have a show and tell so that helps describing the bowl and getting to know people. But I would like to ratchet it up a notch or two by recognizing the beginner turner all the way up to the experienced turner. So I am wondering are there guidelines of sorts that define different levels of turners and if so could you share them with the rest of us. The reason for this is I would like to put out a slip of paper with a grading system of sorts comment card that is positive helpful so that we all can improve as wood turners.

Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Jerry,
My 0.02:
A view from the "other end"--When I started at my club I was in awe of the stuff the guys were bringing in to show--actually was intimidated some. Our format is that it all goes on the table and each gets to describe their piece(s) during the "show and tell", which is when the constructive discussion/learning continues. I'm not a shy person, but do feel if there is that much structure it would tend to scare off some of the less experienced who might not be as confident. If your club is like ours, we're constantly trying to get more members, so the thought process is to ease them in.
Dave H

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
By coincidence ... our most recent meeting was last Thursday. I prefaced my comments about the pieces I'd brought in as "this isn't show and tell, it's show and ask ..."

I was done, the club president took up the theme and invited everyone, whether they'd brought any pieces with them or not, to ask questions.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
encouage

I agree with both of you but here is where I was going with this, most of our members feel the way your club members do that their work is subpar in some way. It is my hopes are that it will get better we have sixty members on the roles with two thirds showing at the meetings. So I guess that attendance is pretty good. Much of the time only 8-12 items make it on the table for show and tell I would like to see more. The theme for the month is what is normally is brought with your typical bowl as well, so they are challenging themselves to some degree but it would be great to keep all level of turners interested and challenging themselves so maybe in the interest of keeping every all challenged more than one project or topic is in order.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Agree.
But as a lot, we are all our own worst critics--that's why I like the show'n tell part so much. Always helps to have others look at your work and then realize it wasn't so bad after all.
Dave H

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
We have a show and tell table at our club too. I publish the newsletter each month so I also take the pictures of the show and tell pieces. I always look at the bottom to see who made it. It's always the same 8 or 10 people. To encourage more participation, we started a drawing. Each piece on the table gets a raffle ticket placed either in it or next to it. Then a little later when the meeting starts, we pull a ticket and the winner gets to tell about his piece and gets a $10 gift certificate from Craft Supplies USA. We also pick out two or three more interesting pieces and the owner's get to come up and tell about thier pieces. We also stress to the members that the show and tell table is for all levels. We also started an 'OOPS' table where members can bring pieces in that didn't end up so well, just to show the newer members that we all make mistakes. I don't think I would want a grading system, that might do more harm than good. One of our board members wanted to have a critique session at each meeting where one of the more veteran members would critique the pieces one at a time in front of the members. I shot the idea down. Again, I think some people would be embarassed. And who's to say what's a good piece anyway. The way we do it now, is if a member wants his piece critiqued, he goes up to a veteran member who he trusts will give him an honest answer and it is done in private. That seems to work well.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There is a forum where one section is for critiques and it is very interesting.
A person supplies photos of their work and three others critique it on form, finish, etc. and then the critique is posted.
Something like that may work with your club. The person being critiqued knows it in advance of course and also knows which members will be doing the critiqueing. On the forum advanced turners make critiques but their checklist applies to three categories (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mike (minor hijack)--really like the Oops! table concept (seems I have more than a few of those... ), may see if the club may like that,maybe not every meeting.
Agree with the opportunity of letting/having individuals talk with "the masters" on their own--less intimidating & informal. After all, what's the club for?
Living in a small rural town, I have interested turners/woodworkers bringing projects by for show'n tell/critique--often over coffee before I go to clinic,
Dave H

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bowls

I too like the oops concept, might help bring in more bowls when folks can point out the if I would have done it like this, it would have turned out like this etc... As it is now the same group brings in their items for show and tell. The C&C works only if you want it as an individual otherwise it scares people off. I am asking for ways that you do it at your club meeting to help better the way for all involved.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts