Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An some one tell me what sketch-up is and where I can find it. I did a little search on my apps. All the reviews said what I was looking at was terrible!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you but $590 bucks a little more than I want to pay for what is basically a hobby for me. I am a disabled plywood worker so if I spend that much on a new toy my wife might want to know why I need it. But I do appreciate to post and I will keep thinking about it!

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Thank you but $590 bucks a little more than I want to pay for what is basically a hobby for me. I am a disabled plywood worker so if I spend that much on a new toy my wife might want to know why I need it. But I do appreciate to post and I will keep thinking about it!

There are free versions of Sketchup that work very well for me. :smile:

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I have been using the free version of Sketch Up for over 3 years ..

It works well for me. I don't think I will ever need the Pro version.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are looking for more of a basic 2d drafting platform, check out Draftsight. It works with .dwg files that are typical of AutoCAD and can be made by other platforms. I use it quite a bit. It reminds me a lot of the older AutoCAD LT, which I miss for it's ease of use and simplicity for basic stuff.

I use SolidWorks at work, but that's way expensive and overkill for home woodworking. Draftsight is a product of the same company though.

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been trying to download Sketchup2013 for several days now, and it absolutely refuses to download.

Today I got (I got smart and ran my browser in a diagnostic mode) the message "Access Denied".

Repeatedly.

I can only believe that I have been getting the same result for a while, now, and I can't believe it's just me. In fact, I know it isn't: I've used three different browsers (IE, Chrome, and Firefox) with the same result, and a friend of mine (not at all interested in woodworking) tried and got the same result.

WHAT GIVES HERE?????:censored: :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

I see all to many mentions of plans available in sketchup format to forgo this product, and you can't beat the price. In addition, the interface seems to have changed a lot between the"8" version - which downloads okay (or so I believe) and the 2013 version. The "8" version doesn't look like the 2013 version.

Does anybody have any ideas???

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Is there something in the 2013 version you want? If not, use the ver. 8 and don't worry about upgrading. I have ver. 8, it works well for me and I see no need to upgrade at this point or possibly anytime in the future.

·
Registered
142 Posts
OldEd again. I finally sent an e-mail to MasterSketchup describing my plight, and after a few exchange... Why,lo and behold, the download actually WORKED! I believe what happened was that someone rebooted the server. Another friend who is an internet maven - full-time professional maven making Big Bucks - examined my diagnostic results and said that "while it is possible it could be something else, the greatest probability is that the server needed to be rebooted.

ANYWAY it got done, and I downloaded it - the free "Make" version - and I'm now trying to learn it. I do wish that there was a printed tutorial manual. The tutorial is online - a video, narrated by a very pleasant female voice who just speaks a bit too fast, and doesn't leave gaps in her recitation to give the student time to stop the narration and try the actions described.

I love online - the access to everything is great, BUT there is still an important place for paper.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Back in 2010 Fine Woodworking published a guide "Google SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers" by Timothy Killen.

I got a hold of that document and I loved it. It gives you a good introduction and then demonstrates all of the important tools by walking you step by step through the design of several different woodworking projects. It costs a few bucks ($12.99) but it is well worth the money in my estimation. I think you can get it as a PDF e-book document and download it directly from Fine Woodworking's site. You can then have the document open on your computer while you are using SketchUp or print out what you want (it's a 145 page document). Here's a link to Fine Woodworking for the e-book.

Videos are fine for what they are, but like you, I don't like them for tutorials when you are trying to learn a program.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used this website to learn the basics of Sketchup:

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

It is free and fairly well done. Please note that the content is more for beginning woodworkers, so if you have spent some time and already figured out Sketchup, then the content may not interest you.

One of the topics that I enjoyed after viewing the tutorial a couple of times was the FollowMe tool, which is quite handy, once you figure out how to use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts