Woodworking Talk banner

Sinker cypress farm table build!

30K views 108 replies 27 participants last post by  chancey1483 
#1 ·
Well Im finally getting around to make a new table for the dining room. The wife and I desided to go with the farm table style, trestle will be next haha. I went out back and pulled some select boards out of one of the wood sheds, these boards came from a 36 ft axe cut sinker cypress. Hope it turns out great, any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. You guys enjoy.

#79 ·
I'm not going to tackle chairs but I am going to make a bench for one side, and see if I can find some chairs. I'm still trying to figure out what to use for the finish, I want to use an oil so that it pulls out all of the colors but not sure what to put on top of the oil or if I should put anything on top of it? Any advise on that? Thanks guys, y'all are really helping me out!

#82 ·
I haven't had much time this week due to ERT training and work, and working all weekend till Tuesday. But I did get some Z clips order for the top and I finished up on the mortise and tenon joints. On a bad note my wife bought some chairs and a table for 150 dollars and when I got home she said she gave the table away and they are coming to get it, the table was a Walnut table!!! 2inches thick! I been trying to find some walnut to make cutting boards and she gave away a whole table of it!

#85 ·
Made it to the shop today. I sanded everything with 220 grit and finish up on a few touchups. Now I need to sand a little more on top and start applying the finish, but that will be tomorrow. I used a 1/4 roundover bit and rounded all the edges on the whole table. I'm still waiting on zclips and corner braces to come in but it's coming together.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.