Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW :eek: , I leave town for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Great to have you new guys on the site. I think we will have alot of fun and hopefully be able to help and inspire everyone else.

Dave.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dave..I was just lookin' at your website..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's some excellent work...I REALLY like that living room floor and the fireplace....The slab furniture is very nice too. I see we are few in numbers, but the tallent here is outstanding.. :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Burl is not too bad....once ya get used to what it likes to do. It's just like everything else I do....the first 6 months you throw alot of stuff in the burn pile :laughing: :laughing: Green it's beautiful to work with...Dry it tears and chips and eats up tools. I usually soak dry burls in a 50/50 soap/water solution for about 8 hours and then turn them. The detergent is absorbed into the cells and acts like a lubricant. After that it's smooth cutting. Jill dumped some smelly oil in one batch...The whole shop smell like fruity flowery stuff...:icon_wink:

Daren..I know Frank likes to leave those hunks of blm burl out in the sun to bake. If you rough turn and soak in the solution for about 4 hours you can take it out and finish turn it. It cuts down alot on the sanding. I've had green maple burl that I've rough turned and soaked for 4 hours and finished turned and finished. It has never cracked, and the soap seems to give a nice glow to whatever finish you use.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Daren..I know Frank likes to leave those hunks of blm burl out in the sun to bake. If you rough turn and soak in the solution for about 4 hours you can take it out and finish turn it. It cuts down alot on the sanding. I've had green maple burl that I've rough turned and soaked for 4 hours and finished turned and finished. It has never cracked, and the soap seems to give a nice glow to whatever finish you use.
That is a good tip, I don't get to turn much burl. I usually turn green. I do turn some figure (curly mostly) wood that has been dried and tear out is an isue for sure even with SHARP tools. I may try that on some the the curly stuff too to see if it helps...can't hurt.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You know, there is a sick elm tree across the street from me that has what I think are burls?...looks like big bumbs all over the main truck...really big. I will take a picture and see what you guys think. I might get to whack that tree down someday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts