Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a table quick for the deck chairs. Threw this together on the fly, just screws and plugs. The only measurement was for height and a 10° angle.

Thought I’d show it just to demonstrate something simple a weekend warrior or newbie could do with minimal tools. It could be built with nothing but a handsaw, a drill, a countersink, a plug cutter, screwdriver and a block plane. Roundovers can be done with a block plane and some sanding.

Wood Creative arts Art Table Gas

Furniture Wood Table Shelf Shelving

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What wood did you use for the legs?
IMHO … the stretchers look a little heavy.
Cypress. I agree with you on the stretchers, I milled them the same as legs, OTOH the center of gravity is low. There wasn’t much thought to design, just to pump out a table. I’ll eventually make this a lamp table and build a couple better looking ones with lap joints or M/T”s.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cypress. I agree with you on the stretchers, I milled them the same as legs, OTOH the center of gravity is low. There wasn’t much thought to design, just to pump out a table. I’ll eventually make this a lamp table and build a couple better looking ones with lap joints or M/T”s.
Side Question: Cypress seems like such a super outdoor wood and seems to outperform the cedar we, in the north, are seemingly relegated to by location. With it being plentiful and pretty cheap, I wonder why is it not available further north. ??? I think most the wood that ends up at our local BBSs ends out having been shipped a long way to get there anyway...matter of fact I bought some 1x4s this winter marked "New Zealand"...for crying out loud.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Side Question: Cypress seems like such a super outdoor wood and seems to outperform the cedar we, in the north, are seemingly relegated to by location. With it being plentiful and pretty cheap, I wonder why is it not available further north. ??? I think most the wood that ends up at our local BBSs ends out having been shipped a long way to get there anyway...matter of fact I bought some 1x4s this winter marked "New Zealand"...for crying out loud.
It's probably a demand issue. But even down here, you won't find it in a lumber supplier, you have to buy it from a sawmill or someone who happens to have some.

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,469 Posts
A supplier I've used in Indianapolis has it, a cypress BF there is $9.95 for 4/4 and $11 for 8/4. Never worked with cypress, might try it for a bird feeder, wouldn't need much so the cost wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@DrRobert
@Bob Bengal
I saw a Florida Home Depot had TnG, 1x6s for $13 but when switching to the nearest HD to me it says the product is not available and not deliverable. Local sawmills in MN probably have enough local product going on to worry about trucking in some cypress logs although I will run it buy the guy I have been dealing with.. Too, bad though. I too would initially like just a wee bit for a bird house or something just to witness how it weathers here...
In any case, appreciate the replies and DrRobert, nice table...the simple use of angled legs giving it some nice character. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Cypress isn't a fast growing tree, and it requires special growing conditions. It's not like pine, which is farmed. Spending time fishing, I am pleased as can be that cypress isn't cut down for the lumber industry. It's a pretty tree growing in the ground. As lumber, it is pretty, but I prefer it as a living tree.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cypress isn't a fast growing tree, and it requires special growing conditions. It's not like pine, which is farmed. Spending time fishing, I am pleased as can be that cypress isn't cut down for the lumber industry. It's a pretty tree growing in the ground. As lumber, it is pretty, but I prefer it as a living tree.
Good to know. I will stop my cypress quest. Cedar it is. Ever BBQ your fish on a cedar plank?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've seen bags of cypress mulch in the big box stores here (Chicago area) going back 30 years. I always thought it was odd that we have that but I haven't seen cypress boards. Last time I walked around my hardwood store, I noticed they had it. 4/4 and 8/4 I think. Didn't look at prices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts