Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working to create an aluminum roof shed with no walls. The shed has 4x6 post in the ground that are buried 4 ft deep and 8 ft out of the ground. I'm using 2x6x20 to frame out the top support to allow for 2x4x10 rafters.

My question is with using 2x6 for a center support beam for an a framed style roof, will the span of 18 ft and using 2x6x20 be strong enough to support the roof?

I've been thinking that it may be best to add another 4x6x12 and nail into concrete using the hurricane bracket.

(the 4x6x12) would replace the 4x6x30" which is displayed center screen in the attached picture.)

Looking forward to feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
18' is too far to span with a 2x6. Even if you live somewhere where you don't expect a heavy snowfall the board will sag. You need to make a truss out of it to make it work. The rest of it if you were making walls the tin would help support the wood. Like it is it wouldn't take much of a snowfall to break.

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
That would work but as shallow as your roof pitch is it would need more vertical parts closer together than what is illustrated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saying that I build a truss, would the main support beam that connects the two sides and what the rafters hang off of be attached simply with one of the metal hurricane type brackets?

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
The hurricane hangers would be helpful but right now you have bigger problems. You would need a truss at the front and back. Then the 2x6's going down each side are inadequate to frame a roof off of. You would need 2x12's down the sides to support the roof. Then there is the issue of wind. In the even you had strong winds catch the roof it would break off the 4x6 posts and bring the roof down. You would need some kind of cross bracing to withstand the wind. It could be as little as steel cables or what I have done is weld a bolt onto a piece of rebar and bolt it to the vertical timbers diagonally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts