Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does everyone get their wood from? Websites? Locally?
I'm looking for hard maple but shipping wood looks expensive!
Thanks,
Joshua Hayden

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can get a limit number of hardwoods in the town I live in. Very limited. About 40 miles away is a large lumber yard that carries or will order just about anything I might want. They'll also deliver for a small fee. Check your area yellow pages for lumber yards in the area, then give them a call to see if they carry hardwoods. Often just ONE will be enough to supply all the hardwood demand in the area, although there may be several other lumber yards that serve the housing trade.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
People get their wood from everywhere that wood is obtainable. Local sawyers (often found my searching craigslist), newspaper advertisements, mail order (many places, but www.walllumber.com is used by many), barter, friends with sawmills, local lumber yards, etc.

You just to search hard in your area to see what is available.

George

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in nova as well. I usually go to northland forestry in Manassas but I have gone to vienna hardwoods (in Vienna... Duh) and Dunlap hardwoods in centreville. The are all good and close in pricing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EZEE,
Thanks for the information on the places to go. I will check them out this summer.

Joshua (AWDsome)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts