Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a storage organizer for kids stuff out of plywood and was wondering what to do on the plywood edges to make them look nice. This will be stained a dark (blackish) stain.

Option #1: real wood edge banding veneer - will this work and take a stain. seems like the easiest option

Option #2: read wood edging (resawn pieces of 4/4 oak). This will obviously work from a stain perspective. But do I keep it a little wider than the plywood edge and use a flush trim bit after the glue has dried to get the edge perfect?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Jordan_SD said:
I am going to build a storage organizer for kids stuff out of plywood and was wondering what to do on the plywood edges to make them look nice. This will be stained a dark (blackish) stain.

Option #1: real wood edge banding veneer - will this work and take a stain. seems like the easiest option

Option #2: read wood edging (resawn pieces of 4/4 oak). This will obviously work from a stain perspective. But do I keep it a little wider than the plywood edge and use a flush trim bit after the glue has dried to get the edge perfect?
I haven't worked with veneer so I have opinion on that.

I would go with the strip of oak glued to the edge with maybe a couple brads to help hold it on.

I would rip the pieces 1/16" or maybe even an 1/8" wider to be safe wider than the plywood.
Weather you want to use a router bit or just sand to smooth it out is up to you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with the amount of edges I would need to put on, and a lack of clamps in my shop, would it be ok to glue then just use a pin or brad nailer to keep it in place without using clamps? Sorry pretty much a newbie woodworker at this point. Just finishing up my first project and my wife already has a bunch lined up for me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Jordan_SD said:
with the amount of edges I would need to put on, and a lack of clamps in my shop, would it be ok to glue then just use a pin or brad nailer to keep it in place without using clamps? Sorry pretty much a newbie woodworker at this point. Just finishing up my first project and my wife already has a bunch lined up for me.
I would think so. I always have done this when using glue and nails or screws.

Just be careful with nailing in to the end grain or the plywood. I wouldn't expect that small of nails to cause any issues but it's something to think about when assembling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts