Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. new to woodworking and I'm going to be tackling my first few projects. One project I will have is a reclaimed wood table with a small granite insert in the center. there's a local c'list ad for a local granite countertop place that will give away the wood from the massive pallets used to deliver the granite(i think its just a simple 2x4 frame deal) and scrap granite. he said the granite is 2x2 and smaller so am thinking maybe a random granite pattern on the top. I'll be using probably reclaimed 4x4's for posts, or maybe if i can't find 4x4's, joining 2x4's w/ wood glue. I'm thinking running a stringer on the bottom with a 2x2 and then framing in a "box" on top to hold the top of the table, w/ 2x4's or 2x6's(whatever I can get for free lol) with a small 3x3 insert w/ the granite. the whole table will probably measure 4x4 and i read a post about something similar but even a 2x2 would be very heavy so I need to make sure it'll support the weight. My grandfather has been doing general carpentry and such(wouldn't say woodworking but helped frame and build his house in the 70's and has alot of various saws and probably routers and sanders too) so I don't need tools. Any ideas would be great.

Also I told my friend that I'm doing this and she said she would love a sturdy shelving unit for the garage, which I'd also use reclaimed wood for. I'm wondering about doing it out of reclaimed 2x4's and 2x6's in the back instead of plywood(love the look of paneling style instead of the look of plywood). How would I join them side by side without metal brackets. I saw finger/dovetail joints but was wondering if its possible to put them side by side, use wood glue, and then maybe a peg/dowel system or screw long enough to go from the top "finger" to the 2nd on the top and bottom. Also read about splicing joints and was wondering if that might be better for this application. Any input would be wonderful. Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts