Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally showing off my first woodworking project - a simple entertainment center.

The top, bottom, and sides were made out of 3/4" oak ply and the shelves and dividers are made out of 1/2" oak ply. The TV support is made out of 2" galvanized conduit which is held in place with a flange bolted to the top of the entertainment center. I welded a wall-mount to the conduit to hold the TV in place and painted it black to make it look nicer. The feet are store-bought and simply glued to the bottom of the unit, which seems to work fine. I plan on adding doors to the left and right sides when I have a little more free time to get into the garage.

almostDone by prodork, on Flickr

testFitting by prodork, on Flickr

puttingItAllTogether by prodork, on Flickr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fine first project, well executed. Did you dado the dividers in place or glue and screw (don't see any hardware) or what?
I did dado the dividers and the insides of the top/bottom/sides for the shelves and glued them all in place. Because this was my first project, and I didn't think too far ahead, the dado's run the length of the shelves/dividers, which are about 4" shorter than the total depth, so there are some unsightly exposed dado's on the backside. If I had planned better, I would have routed just enough for the shelves/dividers and used a chisel to square the ends of the grooves.

I'd like to add a TV mount like that to my entertainment center, but I don't weld. Do you think a couple of U-bolts through the mount and around the conduit could handle a 55"?
In theory, yes; however, you would have to really crank down on the U-bolts to make sure they're secure. Or, you could add in some sort of safety on the top of the conduit that hooks into the opening in case the U-bolts fail. Just make sure you test the weight limit before you mount the TV so if there is any failure, you wont ruin your screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.