Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally showing off my first woodworking project - a simple entertainment center.

The top, bottom, and sides were made out of 3/4" oak ply and the shelves and dividers are made out of 1/2" oak ply. The TV support is made out of 2" galvanized conduit which is held in place with a flange bolted to the top of the entertainment center. I welded a wall-mount to the conduit to hold the TV in place and painted it black to make it look nicer. The feet are store-bought and simply glued to the bottom of the unit, which seems to work fine. I plan on adding doors to the left and right sides when I have a little more free time to get into the garage.

almostDone by prodork, on Flickr

testFitting by prodork, on Flickr

puttingItAllTogether by prodork, on Flickr

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
A fine first project, well executed. Did you dado the dividers in place or glue and screw (don't see any hardware) or what?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd like to add a TV mount like that to my entertainment center, but I don't weld. Do you think a couple of U-bolts through the mount and around the conduit could handle a 55"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fine first project, well executed. Did you dado the dividers in place or glue and screw (don't see any hardware) or what?
I did dado the dividers and the insides of the top/bottom/sides for the shelves and glued them all in place. Because this was my first project, and I didn't think too far ahead, the dado's run the length of the shelves/dividers, which are about 4" shorter than the total depth, so there are some unsightly exposed dado's on the backside. If I had planned better, I would have routed just enough for the shelves/dividers and used a chisel to square the ends of the grooves.

I'd like to add a TV mount like that to my entertainment center, but I don't weld. Do you think a couple of U-bolts through the mount and around the conduit could handle a 55"?
In theory, yes; however, you would have to really crank down on the U-bolts to make sure they're secure. Or, you could add in some sort of safety on the top of the conduit that hooks into the opening in case the U-bolts fail. Just make sure you test the weight limit before you mount the TV so if there is any failure, you wont ruin your screen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In theory, yes; however, you would have to really crank down on the U-bolts to make sure they're secure. Or, you could add in some sort of safety on the top of the conduit that hooks into the opening in case the U-bolts fail. Just make sure you test the weight limit before you mount the TV so if there is any failure, you wont ruin your screen.
I could run a screw or two through the conduit and mount as a safety. The stand top is doubled 3/4" ply, so there's plenty of strength in the top. I'm going to drill a hole through the top so I can run my wiring through the conduit. It won't be as tall as the TV, so the wiring will all be hidden that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did dado the dividers and the insides of the top/bottom/sides for the shelves and glued them all in place. Because this was my first project, and I didn't think too far ahead, the dado's run the length of the shelves/dividers, which are about 4" shorter than the total depth, so there are some unsightly exposed dado's on the backside. If I had planned better, I would have routed just enough for the shelves/dividers and used a chisel to square the ends of the grooves.

Looks good and sturdy. Have you considered adding a face frame around the cabinet and shelves to conceal your dado's? That will give your shelves a thicker look as well. Nicely done project!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks good! If you want to cover up your exposed dado's buy some oak hardwood down the road and rip it down to create a face frame to hide the joinery.

Good job on it thought, looks like it's functioning well!

EDIT: Just realized SgtSteve just mentioned the same thing as me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts