Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right sub-forum for this.

Okay here's some pictures from the beginning stages of this project. I made a post in the "Introductions" section that sort of explained this but basically it's my first solo wood working project. It's not meant to be fancy, but functional and casual looking while still looking clean and well-built.

Dimensions:
-Desk top 3' x 16" x 7/8"
-Legs 29 and 1/8" x 1 and 3/4" square (So the desk will sit 30" tall)

I'll post more pictures as I progress. I'm making a simple rectangle skirt on the underside of the top to connect the four legs in the corners - probably going to be using pocket holes to secure it into the skirt.

I kind of actually like the idea of having a single screw going right through the top down into the legs (just for the look of it for some reason), and I'm going to stain and polyurethane the thing as well.

If I forgot any details or if I made myself sound like a fool I appologize :) I'm just starting to hone my skills as a woodworker. I'm open to all comments good and bad, I need feedback to get better at this kind of stuff so all is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just finished a little bit of work, no pics yet. I was brainstorming and I marked out the underside of the desk with where the legs and skirt will be placed and I figure pocket holes through the leg into the skirt (so they aren't visible) would be the best bet.

If that's the way I go should I put a bit of glue on the leg and just glue it to the top and anchor into the skirt? Would that be sturdy enough for what it is or should I anchor it to the desk top as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if I am supposed to make an edit when I post updates but since I have no pictures of the progress until tomorrow, I'll just post a reply.

I had a few gaps in the boards I glued together for the legs, but after squaring it off and cutting the legs out the gap was actually completely cut out and the legs are perfect :)

I decided to taper the legs so they are 1" square at the floor, and rise to the full 1 and 3/4" square at the top. I built a simple jig out of a piece of plywood and some small strips of wood so I could just rip them through the table saw and get a perfect taper. (pics tomorrow)

Then I decided that I'm gonna use a router with a half inch quarter-round bit to make the bottom of the legs a nice circular leg, and it'll give a cool fade effect, going from a perfect circle at the bottom, to having just rounded corners at the top (except on the corners that fit into the skirt)

Again I'll post pictures tomorrow of the little make-shift jig that worked wonders, and the finished legs, and I'll probably be able to finish putting on the skirt as well so the majority of the desk will be finished tomorrow. I hope I get some more feedback on this! Shameless self bump :p I really want to know what people think of my first fairly large solo woodworking project.

I'm off to see if I can offer any feedback on some other threads, give back to the community. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts