Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on vacation over the winter holiday, I noticed that my dog really likes to stare out the window at the birds. We have a Viszla that is very active and loves to chase the birds. Actually, she starts drooling at the potential of catching one. Currently, our deck doesn't attract many of the feathered friends and the trees we've planted are still too small. So I decided to make a bird feeder for the deck that will attract the few remaining birds that have not migrated south for the winter.

This is a simple project for the beginning woodworker. There are a variety of bird feeder designs available on the web but I wanted to try something a little different. Anyway, this is my try at a simple bird feeder.

Build Instructions:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Bird-Feeder-1/

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nicely done. If you've got any squirrels ... they're going to love that feeder, too.
Thank you. As for the squirrels, I have an open yard and there are a few hawks in the tree line (100 yards away). I assume this keeps them away from the house. However, I love the contraptions people have developed (and mostly failed) to try to keep squirrels out of bird feeders.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Squirrels are ALWAYS a problem when bird feeders are out! Squirrels have chewed apart & destroyed 3 of my "home-made" units, so I decided to use plastic lined wired framed hanging tube feeders to keep most birds fed without them waiting for the squirrels to finish eating all the seed. Be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.