Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as long as I've been woodworking, I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't heard of silver maple until recently.

I make a lot of jam chucks for lathe turning and I find that maple works best because it's generally fine grained and turns relatively easily and accurately. It's also strong enough not to crack or deform. I usually use either soft maple or hard maple.

The woodturners catalog has silver maple blanks for what seems like a good price, but as I said before, I hadn't heard of silver maple before. Will it be a good choice for jam chucks?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Silver Maple is a very fast growing soft maple. I seem to recall the wood is light in weight as compared to hard maple.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Silver Maple is a very fast growing soft maple. I seem to recall the wood is light in weight as compared to hard maple.

Yes. I learned the hard way about this tree. When the one I planted got fairly large size a large branch broke off and landed on my house.

George

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
When I started in business 28 years ago, eastern soft maple was usually Silver Maple. I haven't heard anyone refer to Silver Maple in many years, so I don't know if it is still common or not. But if you have been using soft maple, then you may well have been using Silver Maple under the generic name.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
The Silver Maples that grow down this way have an above ground root system that I really hate. There is no way under the sun to cut the grass close to one of them, the above ground roots are just that bad, and they run everywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts