Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope you guys can help out, first of all, I want to say that I don't have much woodworking experience and I'm sorry if I will be asking noob questions.
I'm from Italy and I'm currently trying to make a vacuum forming machine, the problem is that in the youtube video this guy uses something he calls wood lacquer and silicon caulking, I have no idea what kind of material he uses and I really hope somebody can tell me more about what materials I will need to buy.
Here's the wood lacquer he uses:
And this is the silicon caulking:

I have been trying to ask in the video but he didn't reply and as well he didn't share any amazon link.
I really hope you guys can help.
Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
He is using lacquer to seal the wood. It's probably what he had available. I'd expect any clear finish coat would be OK, like varnish, sanding sealer, lacquer, polyurethane, etc. Your local hardware store should have something you can use to seal the wood. Silicone caulk is just a type of caulk. Again, just look at the caulks in the paint department and you will see some that are silicone based.

Note - he mentioned "wood" lacquer as lacquers are formulated for different uses, such as wood, metal, musical instruments, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thank you so much for the reply.
I'm trying to make sure to get the right material.
Here's a silicone that is used for kitchen or bathroom projects, it's a sealant silicone, it's not made for wood, do you think that would work?
Silicone
About the lacquer I read in the description of the one you sent me that it's used to fills the pores, I know that in Italy there is something called pores filler, do you think is it the right one?
Tura pori means literally pores filler, it's a water-based product.
Turapori
Another option I found available to buy is a varnish.
Varnish
Honesty I have no idea which one is best, I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
608 Posts
The silicone in the link you provided should be fine. You may want a clear version of it instead of white as you will be using a clear finish. Just use it after you put the finish on the wood as finish will not bond over the top of it.

The "Turapori" looks like it might be a water based sanding sealer. If so, it is designed to seal the wood, then must be sanded as it will raise the wood fibers, then a top coat applied, such as the varnish. I expect 2 coats of the varnish would be fine without the turapori. Try the varnish on a scrape piece of the wood you are using for the project and see if you like the results.

·
Generic Weeb
1,039 Posts
Is that an Ainsworth mask??

-T

·
Super Moderator
4,382 Posts
Alen - that is a really cool project & welcome to the forum !!

for sealing the wood, do you have "shellac" in your area ? (as mentioned, anything can be used to seal the wood - even paint) it is not that critical. you could even try the project with bare, untreated wood first to see how it works.
please come back and share your project with us when you get it up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts