Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Forgive me in advance, I am very new at this kind of thing.
I am looking for a way to write on wood, ie: sign my wood work, date, identify wood types etc. in a simple, relatively quick and clean fashion.
I have tried 'sharpies' which may work well for what I need but they run, bleed and cloud up when a top or clear coat is applied.
Any thoughts , ideas or other means of writing on wood and then sealing and preserving the writing within the finish ?
thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
It is possible to transfer laser printed images on to wood, they have to be printed as a mirror image. I prefer to use a hot iron to melt the image on to the wood, others soak the back of the paper with acetone, a web search will bring up detailed instructions.
Another alternative is to print a mirror image on to the backing paper used for avery labels with an inkjet printer, the ink does not soak into the paper and will transfer to the wood, this will give colour images.
And there is the tried and true good old rubber stamp if all else fails.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have custom tags made (the size of a silver dollar) that I inset into every piece that I make. I use a large Forstner bit to set it flush and epoxy it into place. Looks great - most people want to see it - very few want it hidden. Go figure.

I've never had an issue with a sharpie running on me with finish. I wonder if a quick swipe of sanding sealer over the writing wouldn't stop it from running on you. I guess it would require some experimentation to see what works.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
Try using a finish without strong solvents in the area where the letters are. Spraying the finish would be better especially light coats at first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts