Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making signs from 2x6 treated SYP for our Boy Scout camp. Routing them is one thing but painting the letters is tedious & very time-consuming. As a result I put the project off too much.

My question. Is there a film, spray-on or otherwise, that I could apply to the painted sign boards that I could then rout through, paint the letters, and peel off without lifting the latex paint off of the boards.

I've tried blue painters' tape & self-stick transfer paper. They ball up in the router bit and I get a less than good job.

Thanks for any tips.

Forester

·
John
3,028 Posts
I am making signs from 2x6 treated SYP for our Boy Scout camp. Routing them is one thing but painting the letters is tedious & very time-consuming. As a result I put the project off too much.

My question. Is there a film, spray-on or otherwise, that I could apply to the painted sign boards that I could then rout through, paint the letters, and peel off without lifting the latex paint off of the boards.

I've tried blue painters' tape & self-stick transfer paper. They ball up in the router bit and I get a less than good job.

Thanks for any tips.

Forester
I take it the letters are recessed??

Actually wouldn't make much difference. I've used Elmers Craft spray adhesive and just regular printer paper and routed through that. Results were OK, not spectacular. I did pick up one method I have yet to try. Krylon clear acrylic spray, available at Walmart in the paint department. Spray the sign first, route then spray paint the letters with the desired color. Then hit the sign with a belt sander to take the acrylic and overspray both off. The acrylic prevents the paint from soaking into the wood. Like I said, I haven't tried that yet but it sure sounds like a winner. I have precoated a sign with poly and routed through it then spray painted and cleaned up the overspray with mineral spirits and a cloth. Turned out OK but wasn't a whole lot of fun.. This is it

Attachments

Reactions: Forester01

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have seen people that sell these type signs spray paint the letters then run the sign through a planner to remove all the over spray. I guess you could do the same with a belt sander. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second TVMAN. If you have a planer, I would paint the letters and then a real light pass through the planer will clean the paint right off the main sign part. If you don't have a planer, belt sander or maybe even a palm sander would do it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I wondered about clear contact paper and am going to try that. I thought about using cold-laminating film but that stuff's expensive!

Forester01

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I grew up around a guy that made tons of those signs. freehand lettering with the router and contact paper just like I explained. he use to set up at the malls with a trailer and crank out several hundred if not more signs using that technique. I know it works.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes tyhere are couples of spray that you can apply to the painted sign boards and peel without lifting the latex paint off of the boards. And in my opinion, you should use red painter tape for making it so convincing,

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
When I make routed signs, I use black spray paint for the letters then run it through the planer without any problems. The paint film is so thin it doesn't affect the blades at all. One or two passes taking off just a shaving leaves the letters nice and crisp looking. Then I'll usually use some aerosol clear wood finish to seal everything. If you're using the signs outside, I would skip the clear coat.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Forest Trails
2 Posts
Thanks nblumert for the tip on sanding sealer. Did you use templates, a pantograph, or something else for the lettering. If you used templates I thought you might know where to find routing templates for letters 1" or less in height. Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ForestTrails said:
Thanks nblumert for the tip on sanding sealer. Did you use templates, a pantograph, or something else for the lettering. If you used templates I thought you might know where to find routing templates for letters 1" or less in height. Thanks.
i didnt use templates or a pantograph, this sign was done on a cnc machine. Here is a picture of one i did this year for the same kid. This one was freehand with the router.
Nick

image-2355246752.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for any tips.

Forester
Try OraMask 813. It stays put and works very well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,980 Posts
That does look like pretty good stuff. I don't do enough stenciling to merit buying a roll though. I usually use common paper and spray adhesive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts