Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
The SCA

I used to belong to a group http://www.sca.org/. They have built and use all of you above listed weapons.

I doubt that anyone would pay very much for them. Once you have aimed and fired one you want to build one yourself. They are extremely cool.

There was one battering ram I remember, due to its paint job, was nick-named the Dildo of Death. Builders of siege weapons do not come without a sense of humor.

I suggest you contact your nearest SCA group and see some of their siege weapons in action. Trebuchets and ballistas are amazingly accurate.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
I'm sure there were several different kinds of triggering mechanisms. Everything from an iron hook to a wood pin struck by a large mallet to a rope and axe. Whatever they used had to be simple and fast. Seriously doubt there was any secret to it.
If there were any secrets at all about siege weapons they more likely would have been involving the fulcrum position and strength and size of materials such as the rope and timbers. These machines work under a lot of stress.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Back then, everything was flung over the wall including rats. If you couldn't get into the castle/fort just destroy the food and wait them out. Wars back then lasted many generations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.