Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is a sideboard made in Red Cedar, also called Surian. It grows along the Pac rim from Oz to the Philipines. It is a different wood altogether to Western Red Cedar. The front panels on the doors are bookmatched. All joinery except dovetails for the drawer fronts are domino. It's finished in Scandinavian Oil and Wax.

Regards,

Orsen

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Great work!!!!:thumbsup: Not sure if I like the grain match on the drawers though....Seems to stand out a lot more than the rest of the piece.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jeff,

I apply the oil using a saturated rag, just wipe it on then give it about 10 minutes and reapply. I do this until I reach saturation, then begin sanding. On broad surfaces, I just pour the oil on and then wipe it over the entire surface.

Regards,

Orson

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'day Joe,

I like the Domino very much. It does make many projects easier to achieve. I have a Leigh FMT and use the Domino about 95% of the time. What people often fail to realise is the versatility of the Domino. Rather than a souped up biscuit jointer, it is a very precise hole digger. So I use mine for such things as stopped dados for installing the bases of dovetailed boxes, digging precise through mortises, angled joints, (for example in octagonal shapes) picture frame joints and drawer side to back joints. I've even seen a 3 way mitre joint constructed with dominos. Importantly, you are not restricted to the size of the dominoes offered by Festool and it is very easy to make your own.

With regard to the finish on the sideboard, it is actually ahand rubbed wax finish. I sand through to 4000g. (yes 4000g) and then use tripoli powder for the final cut nad finish with a product called Traditional wax, ( http://www.ubeaut.com.au/) which is available in the US. This is a mixture of several different waxes and gives a beautiful lustrous finish. I just wipe it on then rub off after about 5 minutes. You can get a really good resilient finish by applying several coats a few days apart.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Orson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts