Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Retired Steel Fabricator
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For general use soft close kitchen drawers in a face frame cabinet. I want to attach only at the face frame and at the rear with a bracket in the rear. Which type do you think would work better for me. Cabinet and drawers are not built yet. What brands would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
For general use soft close kitchen drawers in a face frame cabinet. I want to attach only at the face frame and at the rear with a bracket in the rear. Which type do you think would work better for me. Cabinet and drawers are not built yet. What brands would you recommend?
I prefer the undermounts, but you need to build your drawer boxes based on the specs for the undermount you are using. Top, bottom, and side clearances are critical as well as the distance between the bottom edge of the drawer box and bottom of the drawer panel. The back of the drawer is notched and bored to accept the drawer glides. As for brand I use a lot of the KV (Knape and Vogt) MUV drawer glides. They offer options for 3 way way adjustability if you would like that. Blum makes the blumotion tandems which are nice also. Salice are supposed to be good too. You probably can't go wrong with any of the major brands, just download their data sheets for the specs and see what fits your needs. I know the KV are 75 lb. rated.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
@B Coll brings up a good point. I’ve only ever used Tandems, and there is a bit of a learning curve. The sizing charts were not very easy for me to interpret (and I am 75% German 😁). You don’t need the drilling jig but to me it’s worth the cost.

Be aware on the Tandems, drawer thickness influences slide selection. And there are two types of latch mechanisms, one is adjustable and should be used for inset drawers.

Regardless of which brand, watch a video first.

·
Registered
Retired Steel Fabricator
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I just ordered these. If I did wrong or if anyone has any tips please chime in. TIA
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Auto part

·
Registered
794 Posts
Blum undermount is what came with our Schuler cabinets from Lowes - we are very pleased with them (cabinets and drawer glides). We ordered Heavy Duty glides for a few of the pantry drawers.

I used side mounted glides for my camper's mini pantry - a bit more fussy, but its also working fine.

·
Registered
Retired Steel Fabricator
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t remember the codes, but as long as they‘re spec’d for the right drawer thickness. There are 1/2 -5/8 and 5/8 - 3/4.

I think H is 1/2 - 3/4.
Yes, I noticed that.
H is for 1/2 -5/8 and F is for 3/4. F will work for 1/2 -5/8 also, but it will leave a larger gap between the face frame and the drawer side.

thank you for your input DrRobert

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Woodworkers Hardware has a pretty good demo on installation.

The Amazon price is a little high, but considering the brackets and clips, not awful.

I bought 30 pairs @ $26 a pair last year and $2 for the clips from Woodworkers Hardware. They’re $29 now, clips $3.50
Yes, I noticed that.
H is for 1/2 -5/8 and F is for 3/4. F will work for 1/2 -5/8 also, but it will leave a larger gap between the face frame and the drawer side.

thank you for your input DrRobert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts