Woodworking Talk banner
1201 - 1220 of 2342 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Lola Ranch Workshop

I decided to show my shop during a project so people could see how it's really used. These photos were taken when I was building a large walnut dining table.

I've designed, built and equipped several woodworking shops during my career up to 6000 square feet. My current shop is my retirement shop. Big enough for some professional projects, but small enough for me to easily take care of. It's well insulated and the concrete floor keeps the temperature moderated summer and winter. I brought in a separate dedicated electrical panel just for the shop with 200 amps and plumbing for the bathroom (which keeps me from trampling into the house in a cloud of sawdust).

It's 960 sq. ft. measuring to the outside of the walls, take away the bathroom and storage under the stairs and the net inside area is 23' x 36' for a net floor area of 828 sq. ft.It' is located in a larger, multi purpose building containing a barn, tack, farm equipment storage and with a big loft running the 64" length of the of the upper floor.

Toolroom Machine Tool Machine tool Workshop

First photo is from the business end of my main table saw (Grizzly 1023SLX) showing the wrap around out-feed table/bench being used as a bench to glue up the table top. It is serviced by a Grizzly 2 HP dust collector located off camera to the right.

View attachment 50598

My assembly bench is 4' x 8' x 18" high built very flat and sturdy and which I keep leveled by laser. It is a good height for working on larger projects. Behind that is a simple cutoff station with off fall storage to the left and a padded sanding bench to the right. The chop saw has a somewhat crude, yet surprisingly effective, shroud that directs the dust and chips into the garbage can located directly below. The left side is set up with an indexed stop for quickly setting the length without need of measuring. The right side has an extendable work support arm which easily tucks away to leave the sanding bench unecumbered.

My state of the art dust extraction for the sanding bench is the latest "open the window, turn on the box fan" technology. There is storage for long stock above the chop saw where it is handy.

Workbench Furniture Table Tool Wood

Third photo shows the "machine side". Yeah, I know, lots of Grizzly stuff. Most all of which I bought off CL stupidly cheap. 8" longbed parallelogram jointer, shop made router table, 1/4" HP power feeder, small shaper, 20" 2 HP drill press, another drill press permanently set up as a hollow chisel mortiser, 15" Grizzly planer with a smaller 12 inch planer stacked on top of it, a medium sized wood work bench with vice, 2 HP pleated filter DC for that side of the shop (both DC units equipped with remote control), 17" Grizzly band saw with auxiliary out feed table and then a small auxiliary work stand/tool holder. Not shown to far left is a 7' wide x 9' high x 4' deep vertical panel storage rack where it's easy to leaf through all my panels and them pivot them onto the TS cut station. Straight away at the far end is a 2HP two stage Rolaire compressor. It rocks.

Toolroom Building Machine Interior design Furniture

Lastly is the main TS/workbench showing the twin screw pipe clamp vise (which works great BTW). You can see a couple of my sliding sleds in the distance and the inside of my tri-folding shop doors which open up to 12' wide x 8' high. There is also a shop made horixzontal edge sander to the left off camera.

My favorite thing about this shop is that it's set up just for me, the way I want it. I do have helpers come in occasionally and hopefully, eventually maybe my grandson. That's about all I can write in one sitting. If you have any questions, ask Bill or Cabinetman, just kidding. Ask me if you want.

Bret

Attachments

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Could you tell me how you installed the twin screw clamp vise . I would love to make one.
In the photo you will notice a square hole in the plywood top (upper right) which is where the movable end of the clamp pushes against and where you have to reach in to release the clutches to adjust the vise to the right width for your workpiece. The hand holes are about 2 feet back from the vise faces and the pipes are about five feet long so I am able to open my vise to almost 3 feet. I notched the partitions in the cabinet below to run the pipes through before I installed the plywood top.

Bret

Attachments

· Carpenter & Joiner
254 Posts
This table saw isn't really very good so...

I put a new frued blade on it and built a cross cut sled and...

... Some guides of various lengths, this being the longest...

Some of my tools, nothing great really

Handsaws rasps and files

My Bench with a few tools underneath

My lathe, which is actually okay, not amazing though :)

· Registered
22 Posts
I just got an amazing deal on a 10x14 shed with a loft that I was pretty excited about until I saw what some of you guys are working with...now I'm afraid mine is WAY too small! Very nice setups and gives me lots of inspiration on the best way to get mine laid out.

· Thumb Nailer
2,921 Posts
Chrisja77.

Yeah, a little on the small side, but that's okay. That loft can go a long way to making it a very useful space. You just need to take physical size of your tools and projects into consideration.

· Registered
22 Posts
I will probably be asking for yalls thoughts on placement to get me started when I get everything to the house. I ended up buying the shop and all the tools in it so I will have to do some major cleanup and arrangement for it to work for me I'm sure. A lot of the tools I already own so a few will be put up for sale to fund new ones! Lol

· Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Develin said:
Chrisja77, your workshop is only 2 foot smaller than mine. It's plenty of space if you plan carefully! :)
One vey both of you ATM. My shop is currently only 5 x 4 and being shared with a cooking stove, cast iron bath and a cupboard with a foot print of 4 x 1 1/2. And if that ain't bad enough it has no walls on the north or east sides and the roof leaks.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

· Carpenter & Joiner
254 Posts
The green machine on the outfeed bench is a combination table saw / compound saw. I use to cut the finer pieces of wood if I can help it. The finish it gives after the cut is so good that I don't have to plane it, I just go straight to sanding on 250 grit. It's also my site saw of choice if ever I need one.

It's been unbeatable for what It cost me which was about $80.

· I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
One vey both of you ATM. My shop is currently only 5 x 4 and being shared with a cooking stove, cast iron bath and a cupboard with a foot print of 4 x 1 1/2. And if that ain't bad enough it has no walls on the north or east sides and the roof leaks.

Dave The Turning Cowboy
Dude, we need to get you into a bigger space. At the very least, get that other crap out of there.

· Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Chaincarver Steve said:
Dude, we need to get you into a bigger space. At the very least, get that other crap out of there.
I got no where for the other crap and as we had a new baby last year + a daughter move back home with her new born last week I lost use of the 'spare room'

Dave The Turning Cowboy

· I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I got no where for the other crap and as we had a new baby last year + a daughter move back home with her new born last week I lost use of the 'spare room'

Dave The Turning Cowboy
I can see how that might put a damper on things. :huh:

· Registered
215 Posts
Due to plans to convert the 2 car garage to a future home theater I had to relocated my wood shop from the garage to a detached building on my property. Benefit I have more room and the building is insulated and has air/heat. I used Grey Composite Decking over plywood for floor. This stuff is very tough! I did all the wiring in the building as I was an electrician many years ago. I subbed out for both drywall and drop ceiling as I did not have enough time to do it myself. I made sure all of my floor power tools were attached to the Jet dust collector in the corner. I also install the Jet air filter from the ceiling about the center of the building. Both Jet Air Filter and Dust collector are remote controled. I still need to install more storage and a large peg board. Lots of labor and time but WELL worth it as now I can get back into wood working again. :thumbsup:

You have a ton of flex hose, I can imagine your dust collector isn't collecting very efficient... lol if you're scratching your head by chance on that, lose a few of those hoses, hook up more solid piping and you should see a drastic improvement, by the way, your shop is pretty sick.

1201 - 1220 of 2342 Posts