Woodworking Talk banner
2321 - 2340 of 2342 Posts

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts
But to answer you’re question, as long as I pile my tools in the same general area I can usually find them. Come to think of it, I guess that explains nine 1/2” wrenches (aren’t you proud of me @woodnthings?? 😁😁).
A well equipped shop will have at least six 1/2" X 9/16" box wrenches, and about the same number of open ends, and a few extra 13 mm and 15 mm Metrics.
That way you know where at least one of them is.... ?
In my case there's a double set of wrenches in the Garage, the same in the metal shop, and one or two full sets in the wood shop.
You can't be running around looking for the right tools in the middle of a breakdown or repair job.
My son's Snap On box that's 8 ft long has a whole lot more good stuff than me, since he's a ASE certified mechanic.
He refuses to borrow any of mine, just not "good enough" for a pro.
That way I know where mine are ... most of the time...."Hey Bud, you got my 8mm spin tite?" Never mind, I found it. :oops:

Same thing with scissors. Between using them at work and bring them home at retirement, inheriting a bunch from 3 relatives, and my own "collection", I must have 50 pairs of them. A few in the kitchen, some in the bath vanity, one on the computer desk, drawers full in the shops....
With so many, I learned how to sharpen then a long time ago and it's very simple using a diamond stone.

· Registered
476 Posts
Because I haven't had a shop, proper... I've not had the issue of getting multiples of wrenches.
But all in good time, I suppose.

What I have had an issue with is small hand tools on site.... Most common of those is what I call whirly gigs. Those are the hook ended tools for tying pre made rebar ties. They always hide in between jobs, and only reappear after the purchase of a new one.

I currently have 4....

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Lol...here you go @DrRobert this will really make you crazy... even my drawers are tidy...
Well, young man, let me just say I’m pretty sure there are support groups for people with your condition.

If not, you and @Tony B can start one. Everything is online now. Call it Zoom To Organization! One of the wet labs could be cutting outlines in foam for your tools.😂😂

@woodnthings I’m very flattered coming from you. At least I’ve met the minimum standards for redunfancy.

On another topic - What is up with spell check on this site? Only this site. I typed redundancy 5 times and because it has a period behind it, you see what it is?

Somebody besides me needs to get analyzed and organized😁😳😁

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Keeping my shop neat is not an obsession, I just can't help myself.
I think it was Pres. Truman that said "The dust stops here!"
During the days of the Great Dust Bowl".... never mind.

· Thumb Nailer
2,929 Posts
My kind of guy!!!! If you're a wood hoarder then we are brothers from another mother :)
Wood, clamps, glue, tires, yes tires. I am waiting to get my truck back from the mechanic, 5+ weeks overdue yay me... I ordered a fresh set of all terrain TAs that came in and, well my mechanic doesn't have a tire machine... So since my shop is full, in the living room they stay!

As I sort through my late wifes stuff, I generate a mess, as I work on completing remodel projects, I make a mess, I didn't clean the shop for a while because the lights were out due to a bad switch I was being lazy about replacing so it is, well.. a mess. I have too many abandoned projects, and equipment I have no need for any more. Like my old 12" slider now that I have the Metabo, the old Chicago Electric needs a new home.

· Registered
332 Posts
Works for me
Nice shop. It looks like you have dust collection covered except for that miter saw. If your Makita is anything like my Dewalt that little bag leaves much to be desired. I added a Rouseau 5000 (there are cheaper alternatives) to mine and it works great. I still get a few kickback particles but in general it catches everything.

· Registered
239 Posts
I finally took the initiative to finish the enclosure of my miter saw - well almost finish, I have one more element I'm going to add that will hopefully keep the dust at bay. The enclosure has a down draft in the rear for dust collection.

Miter saw Mitre saws Saw Automotive design Machine tool

Saw Circular saw Window Wood Gas

I also automatized the blast gates on all the machines by installing a Grit blast gate system. No more forgetting to close or open blast gates then having to walk back and forth across the shop to open/close them. Yeah it's a luxury, but it was a Christmas present to myself. I figured I was good enough this year lol. So far this seems like a great system with quite a lot of capabilities.

Cabinetry Engineering Gas Machine Kitchen appliance

Wood Engineering Gas Machine Flooring

Electrical wiring Gas Thigh Cable Technology

Cabinetry Wood Shelving Gas Hardwood

· Registered
239 Posts
Beautiful shop Doc. My shop has gotten to that point many times, especially when I was working on the house and some yard projects. But then it gets to the point where my time spent in it isn't enjoyable or as productive because I can't find stuff or have to keep pushing things aside just to put something down or find a spot to work. Maybe spend an hour or so organizing it and it will look like a million bucks. You'll love yourself for it too. You have tons of room there and tons of storage.

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Nice shop. It looks like you have dust collection covered except for that miter saw. If your Makita is anything like my Dewalt that little bag leaves much to be desired. I added a Rouseau 5000 (there are cheaper alternatives) to mine and it works great. I still get a few kickback particles but in general it catches everything.
This pic is a few years old. I have since added a miter station that I built to my needs with a continuous adjustable fence and slide out outriggers that allows me to do repetitive cuts over 10'. The Makita bag is not bad, but even with dust collection, long ago I resigned myself to the fact that wood shops will have saw dust, so it does not bother me too much.

· Registered
1,661 Posts
The Makita is not too bad, but I accepted saw dust in my shop years ago. The Delta saw stand that you see there I had for over 20 years and hated from the day I purchased it, but it saw a whole lot of job sites. These pics are a couple years old. Since then I made a saw stand that suits my needs, since it rarely leaves the shop.

Attachments

· Registered
34 Posts
This was from 2018. When I got around to trying to organize some things. It was getting there from when it was still full of stuff while moving in.
Floor Engineering Wood Electrical wiring Gas

Wish I thought things out and planned better. Fast forward and here we are. Took this picture around last month. After this picture I threw up the Milwaukee Packout Wall Mounts.
Wood Gas House Flooring Building

Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Door

Now it's getting somewhere.

I was getting away with storing the miter saw and table saw on the rack to the right. I'd use the table saw on the ground. Barely used it. Then pulled out the miter saw stand when I needed to use the miter saw. Ended up with a 48" tool chest on the left. Then moved that Craftsmen from the first picture to the left in a cutout.

Just have to figure out how to get rid of some odd shaped truck parts that take up a lot of floor space. I made a rolling cart/stand for the table saw and it's the perfect height to utilize the Worx Pegasus as an outfeed table. Now I'm all over the place. Trying to organize, figure out what to do for dust collection and get rid of some random things. Mainly the factory exhaust and full y-pipe from the truck. Also have this exact chonky boy sitting in the front right of the garage. So that's what's eating up a lot of my space. There's even a 55,000 BTU Reddy Heater sitting in there. I can't even give that thing away.
Table Chair Gas Wood Flooring

Currently I have my Delta Cruzer Miter Saw slightly apart. Installed a Maple ZCI. Bought that. Holes are a little off so I might just try and make one out of something else. It's a Gen 1, so I missed out on the shadow line. Waiting for the LED light to come in. Going to try and install it without having it's own power cord. Run it off the constant switch and adding a switch just for the light like the factory one.
Grabbed a Diablo 60 blade for the miter and 40 for the Ridgid. I'm just all over the place.

I think I've settled on sticking with the ShopVac for dust collection and making it more efficient. Picking up a 55 gallon drum. Yeah, I was aiming for something smaller and just buying an Oneida 2.5. But the drum is free. Buying a 10-20 gallon one was $50-75 more than I wanted to spend. Might end up doing it anyway. Picked up a Delta #50-723T2 Dust Collector and Dewalt DW735X last week. Bought mounts to be able to mount it to the miter saw stand. Not sure if I like that idea. Returned the Delta. Got ahead of myself. Now it's trying to figure out where or what to put it on. Brainstorming if I should just do a full long miter saw work bench along the left when I get some things out of there or just stick to portable options. Considering the flip cart option for the planer. Then maybe grab a bench mount sander. Saw Bora also made a miter saw cart that has long wings then folds into a box. Which seems to be useable with my limited space but that price. Want the satisfaction of making something but I just have to compelling force saying buy it as a short cut to the end. 7 years and I still haven't settled into the house. Open to feedback and suggestions. I'll try to get a better picture of things as I've made a little progress.

Figured I could do a flip cart bench based off something like this: Easiest DIY Mobile Miter Saw Stand - Tylynn M

All that and my floor is uneven and sloped forward.

· Registered
1,661 Posts
I finally took the initiative to finish the enclosure of my miter saw - well almost finish, I have one more element I'm going to add that will hopefully keep the dust at bay. The enclosure has a down draft in the rear for dust collection.

View attachment 445241

View attachment 445242

I also automatized the blast gates on all the machines by installing a Grit blast gate system. No more forgetting to close or open blast gates then having to walk back and forth across the shop to open/close them. Yeah it's a luxury, but it was a Christmas present to myself. I figured I was good enough this year lol. So far this seems like a great system with quite a lot of capabilities.

View attachment 445243

View attachment 445244

View attachment 445246

View attachment 445248
Sweet design!

2321 - 2340 of 2342 Posts