Woodworking Talk banner
2301 - 2320 of 2342 Posts

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
These photos are about 4 months old and some changes have been made since.
Anyway, this is a 12 x 35 Mini-storage bay in a large complex of them.
Also note that I did not drill one single hole in the structure. Wood Floor Asphalt Brickwork Gas
Building Wood Engineering Gas Flooring
Automotive design Wood Gas Automotive tire Machine

Attachments

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Nice to have a hand sink. Good on you.

Dids it ever occur to you to spell your name in the snow? That would save you the rest of the trip and your territory will be marked.
Spoken like a true southerner. Writing your name in the snow looses it's appeal at -14°f. When I moved out here 25 years ago, I was alone, since then 200 homes were built within half a mile of me. Plus I had neighbors on either side of me with middle school girls, the "hand sink" has worked well, I do have a shop sink for washing up. I'm on well and septic, very careful about what I run down any drain.

· Registered
Egg Spurt
3,625 Posts
Here ya go..My shop or at least a small sample of it.
Water Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar

SURE! It looks like an ordinary concrete floor at first glance, but this is just the beginning! The shadow is only there because the door is open, but close the door and turn out the lights at night and it transforms into a really dark segment.. I planned it like that.

· Registered
815 Posts
Not my shop, pictures of an estate sale. Thought some of you might find it interesting to look at.

· Registered
476 Posts
Computer Interior design Audio equipment Computer desk Table

Property Building Table Television Flooring

Wood Hand tool Tool Gas Auto part

Bottle Office equipment Audio equipment Kitchen Gas

Wood Television Gas Hardwood Audio equipment

Shelf Shelving Publication Wood Room

This absolute wasteland is getting closer to being a functional hobbyist woodshop.
I've needed this for years, and we've finally gotten in to a rental that allows me full use of the shop.
It's filthy (and will most likely continue to be 😅), but I am REALLY looking forward to finally getting back in to the hobby I truly enjoy.

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts
I found this in my Google photos "Saved Creations" folder. I don't know if it will give the panoramic view that I see?
It worked! Those smart phone cameras can do a lot, Samsung Note 8 +:
Building Table Water Art Event

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,035 Posts
View attachment 445055
I am REALLY looking forward to finally getting back in to the hobby I truly enjoy.
When I had an active shop, I had a bookcase that was maybe 3' wide and 7' tall chock full of trade related books and journals. Thanks to Hurricane Charlie, ALL of it went to the landfill. Upon retirement, now I have less than a dozen. Although sometimes I wish I had them all back. But, in reality, at my hobbyist level, I'm okay without them (thanks to the internet and YouTube).
I was just interested in what kind of stove-heater you have in the back with the pipe going up ??

· Registered
476 Posts
When I had an active shop, I had a bookcase that was maybe 3' wide and 7' tall chock full of trade related books and journals. Thanks to Hurricane Charlie, ALL of it went to the landfill. Upon retirement, now I have less than a dozen. Although sometimes I wish I had them all back. But, in reality, at my hobbyist level, I'm okay without them (thanks to the internet and YouTube).
I was just interested in what kind of stove-heater you have in the back with the pipe going up ??
It's a small wood fire place. In the current climate it takes about two hours to get the shop up to a comfortable temperature, and then maintains the heat pretty well at long as I keep it burning.
And I love my books.... One day I might even read them all 😅

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,621 Posts
400+ square feet, good lighting, compressed air and outlets where I need them. For me, it don't get much better.
Looks like a great place to work in and produce some nice things! I'm envious of your available space and metal working tools. :)

· Registered
2,980 Posts
Of all the different kinds of poles, story poles are things which can be carved by anyone, whether you own any totem or not. The picture is from a local newspaper article. The little vertical pole will finish as the life cycle of a frog, from egg through tadpoles to adult frog. The bigger one is 5"x 64" to describe the life cycle of a butterfly. I felt it was necessary to show how many little caterpillars hatch and how few actually metamorphose to butterflies. Talk about tedious, I can never take more than an hour on the 'pillars at a time.

Wood Artisan Table Military camouflage Art

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
No way I‘m showing anyone my shop, “finest machines” or not 😳😳. Anyway I don’t trust anyone with a shop that orderly.

Please explain how you get anything done when you’re spending that much time cleaning up and putting things away? 😆😆

· Registered
1,743 Posts
No way I‘m showing anyone my shop, “finest machines” or not 😳😳. Anyway I don’t trust anyone with a shop that orderly.

Please explain how you get anything done when you’re spending that much time cleaning up and putting things away? 😆😆
How can you get anything done when you have everything lying around where you can't find it and it's cluttering up your workspace?
😁😁

Reactions: Tony B

· Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I too am a neatnik. very rarely does a day go by without me cleaning up at the end of it.
Also a thorough blowdown once a week minimum.
It dont take long.

· Premium Member
4,800 Posts
How can you get anything done when you have everything lying around where you can't find it and it's cluttering up your workspace?
😁😁
You know, it seems there’s always some wise @#$& injecting logic into my world and messing with my head. 🤣🤣

But to answer you’re question, as long as I pile my tools in the same general area I can usually find them. Come to think of it, I guess that explains nine 1/2” wrenches (aren’t you proud of me @woodnthings?? 😁😁).

I too am a neatnik
Oh jeez…….

· Registered
239 Posts
Those pics were taken just after a cleanup and why I took them 🥴 because many times it does look like a bomb went off in it. But because there's a place for everything, it's quick to get everything in its place, making cleanup easy. I just start grabbing tools, do crossing patterns across the shop and put them where they belong until they're all stowed. Before long, the only cleanup that remains is dust, chips and shavings to sweep up. However the junk pile under the TS is still lingering and giving me agida lol

Presently the shop is in disarray again. I've been installing an automatic blast gate system and rearranging some of the ducts. I'd always leave a blast gate open or forget to open the blast gate on the machine I'm working on. After a while, I'd just forego it and in no time dust is everywhere. Kind of defeated the purpose of having such a nice dust collecting system. So the auto blast gate system was my Christmas present to myself. Seems like an amazing system that utilizes the existing metal blast gates and can be installed without having to remove them. The installation has been pretty easy and straightforward.

2301 - 2320 of 2342 Posts