Woodworking Talk banner
2281 - 2300 of 2342 Posts

· where's my table saw?
32,632 Posts
My poor little shop is 1/2 of our 2-car garage, lol. Although I’m slowly invading into the wife’s side;
You should delete one of your photos, they are both the same.

· Thumb Nailer
2,913 Posts
My shop has been undergoing a lot of remodelling since my old posts so I felt like I should update with what has been going on....

Let's look at the prior configuration...

Just above the entry of the shop, at an angle to move the air in the shop in a cicular motion, helped by the AC and a fan on the other side of the shop, is my Grizzly G0572 hanging air cleaner. This was, and remains a vital part of my shop setup.

The drill press hasn't changed much over the years. It was bought as an old abused Northern Industrial 16 speed floor model. I fixed the issues, Missing fasteners, bent pulley guard etc... gave it a shop built table, and put in on a Harbor Freight mobile base that needs to be redone these days...

My rolling clamp rack. It sounded like a good idea at the time. It wasn't. I am thinking about just making up a wall mounted clamp rack instead.. The base is too small to realy be comfortable rolling through the shop, although it has space for all my clamps. At least that part is good.

The clamshell cabinets I will go into detail below, they need the french cleats redone and reinforced. The "Tool Stacker" ended up being abusive my my screwed up back so the shelf standards / brackets and stands have been removed, and replaced with flip top tool stands, at least in progress stands. But the point of me posting this pic is the HF lathe. I scooted it closer to the door so other stuff can fit in, but overall, this has been a great lathe. It's the Jet 1236 clone. Jet no longer makes their version, or I haven't seen it, but this thing does what I need it to do and does it well.

And the table saw. A Ryobi BT3100 fully loaded with miter slot add ons both sides of the blade, plus the sliding miter table, Shark Guard, Router table accessory that I do not use, wide table kit, and a shop made router table. If there were maintenance parts in perpetuity, and a way to add SawStop type tech to the thing, I would keep this thing until I am dead. and then maybe a bit longer...

No on to the updates!

So since November I have been busting my tail trying to get my shop in order, and finishing shop related projects that have sat on the back burner for far too long when life got in the way. The status of those projects is as follows.

Bandsaw.
Almost all desired mods done. G0555 tension release, cobra coil, riser block, safety switch / relocation, wheel brush, roller bearing blade guides. Mobile base. There are two items I want left for this bandsaw though

Green Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Detensioner and Cobra Coil... You can see my modded Harbor Freight 2HP green dust collector in the background.

Motor vehicle Waste container Automotive exterior Waste containment Gas

Safety Switch upgrade. The cord slopping forward is the cord for the wall, I have it looped for transit.

Machine tool Household appliance accessory Jig grinder Gas Tool

The roller bearing blade guides. I had a guide set that didn't fit the post but he yolk with the bearings fit the original mount, so instead of having to spend another $170.00 I have this done for, well pull off from 12 years ago...

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Machine Auto part

The dual 2.5" lower dust ports. I blew dust off of here as I had used the saw heavily when the DC was taken apart, but it DOES seem to work well now that I have it connected, no new dust...

What's still pending to do?

#1. Urethane tire installation. I just need to do it. Christmas gift to as of yet be applied. I think I am waiting for the OE tires to utterly fail.
#2. Either Shop fox, or Kreg resaw fence. My Craftsman fence is ready to go to the metal recyclers it is that bad... This is budget I do not presently have, but hoping for this year...

Dust collector.

Done. Wynn filter when I first bought the DC 12+ years ago, Wen 12" impeller this year, Neutral Vane, 5" mains to 4" drops, as close to machine as possible OR 4" when dust / air has to get pulled up.
Bicycle Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

The Dust collector and connection over to the wall...

Gas Building Ceiling Machine Space

I used 5" Snap Lock ducting, and reduce to 4" right at the machine, or at least close as possible, OR where dust / air has to go UP so I can hopefully increase vacuum without utterly killing velocity.

What's still pending to do?
#1. Finish the run to the miter saw bench. For now the port will stay the same and it will likely stay awful. Maybe adding the shop vac in the mix will help, maybe it won't. Long term I need to find a fix that works.

Ceiling fan Lighting Electricity Line Wall

I will be going to Home Depot for 1 more joint of 5" for the miter saw connection. The port is avialble although there is a 4" reducer there.

Benchtop tools.

Done. All tools on mount boards, jointer and planer have been combined into a flip plate for my first and quite rough flip top stand. The build for the second flip top stand is well under way, the sides are done, and I will likely be sizing the base plate and starting the flip board today... If I can manage to weasel the 1/2" PVC out from behind the sheet goods stack where I stuffed it and can't reach it. The grinder / sharpening station got built and is stand alone.

Gas Machine tool Engineering Machine Toolroom

The flip top stand, first one at least, for my bench top jointer and planer. I am working on a 2nd one currently for the Rigid sander and scroll saw.

Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering

The grinder / sharpening station stand so I don't have to lug the grinder around to a bench top. Oh, if you noticed, there is a theme here. Rustoleum Hunter Green paint.

Shop storage cabinets

Obviously the clamshell cabinets I have had for years, and the workshop library cabinet. The french cleats on both of those need to be double checked, I am not sure but I think I am getting a gap.

The clamshell cabinets made from if I remember correctly wood magazine plans.

Miter saw cabinet drawers were completed. I CAN if I want to, make doors, but I am not sure I want to. I might just stay put.

2 shallow, 2 deep VERY basic plywood drawers. The base of the drawer is full width and rides in slots inside the carcass to act as slides. Stupid simple construction but provides the storage I needed.

They drawers house drills, drilling, routing, and table saw accessories. The main corded drills are in cases in the bottom of the miter saw cabinet.

To do...
#1. Lathe tools storage cabinet. I am simply going to make a box to hold 2 drawers on the OE stand, and an enclosure at the bottom of the stand to hold ballast. I need plywood. Am considering using 1/2" instead of 3/4".
#2. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station. Honestly this is my more pressing update as I am finding the lack of an easy way to set up stops on this beyond about 18" is a problem.

Compressed air.

Done. I have completed the compressed air piping system including insuring all openings through the system from manifold to quick couplers is 3/8" ID High Flow rated stuff. Moved the overhead hose reel, and replaced the old cracking hose.

The dual compressor manifold filter, oil separator, dessicant dryer. My piping system on the output of the manifold to the end is 3/8" ID.

The outlet blocks use 3/8" MPT Milton couplers, that size is kind of rare, but it uses, V, M, A type fittings. The HF plugs are effectively Type M.

Lighting.

Done..I converted the shop lights to double ended LEDs. Unfortunately one of the fixtures fell while I was removing it and bent the end a bit. I tweaked the sheet metal to a close approximation of what it should be, but I would like a replacement. I can't buy a Lithonia 2 tube 48" flourescent nowadays to save my life... Looking to buy used, or get a donation / trash pickup.

Automotive exterior Wood Electricity Gas Plant

The flourescent T12 fixtures were converted to double ended LED tubes which was brought on by ballasts failing. The LED ballast bypass tubes were considerably cheaper than replacement fixtures, or replacement ballasts.... And boy what a difference in the amount of light in there!

· Registered
483 Posts
Getting closer to being done.
Property Window Door Fixture Wood
outside doors.
Property Wood Fixture Flooring Floor
with both doors open.
Fixture Wood Watch Paint Wood stain
fixing windows so they don't fall so far down. Got some final painting and touching up. I'm anxious to get started on some wood working projects, like another canoe.
Roy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

· Registered
483 Posts
Oh I'm loving it. It's 16x24. Got a little more trimming and painting and I be done. Yep even a sink with hot and cold water. I can put big screen tv, refrigerator and coffee bar in there.

· Registered
483 Posts
! That's nice. Gee I thought I was big poo because I painted my floor. You really have a nice tv too. I bet you even have your own bathroom? I have to run out and pee on a bush. Do you also have a remote that controls your autofeed on the table saw?

That is a nice shop.
Roy

· Registered
2,065 Posts
i believe roybrew's comment was on the general order, cleanliness and condition of b coll's shop
my shop is a disaster compared to that shop

unlike roybrew... i can't go inside the house to go pee without traversing 200 feet of snow drifts
uphill both ways 😂

i installed this a couple years ago in the back corner of my shop, most people don't notice it there

Urinal Plumbing fixture Toilet Bathroom Household supply

· where's my table saw?
32,632 Posts
There is no running watrer in my second flood wood shop. And because it's over top of another fully equipped metal shop and storage, I don't want it.
There is a window that opens over the back hillside and a plastic container kept on the sill for "those urgent times" when the downstairs bath room is not "within range."
Gravity is still available on the second floor shop and a few squirts of Windex make the container safe for reuse. It is an "all season solution" as well.
No trudging through snowbanks in the dead of winter, another reason for an attached shop in lower Michigan.
My buddies' shop had a simple 90 degree 4" PVC pipe with a 5 ft section attached that ran through the back wall of his shop into the nearby woods at a slight slope. It worked for all stature of men and for all but very small boys. There was some interesting "calender artwork" on the wall to view while occupied "in the moment."
On the farm, back in the 50's, my grandpa kept a Hills Bros coffee can under the bed for night time 'emergencies" since the outhouse was 100 ft away and the snow was not always shoveled. I still remember him picking up his always handy work gloves while going out the door to the outhouse, a "force of habit" when leaving the house. I asked him about that as a small child when he returned, but there was no explanation I can remember.

· Premium Member
6,938 Posts
unlike roybrew... i can't go inside the house to go pee without traversing 200 feet of snow drifts
uphill both ways 😂

i installed this a couple years ago in the back corner of my shop, most people don't notice it there

View attachment 438542
Nice to have a hand sink. Good on you.

Dids it ever occur to you to spell your name in the snow? That would save you the rest of the trip and your territory will be marked.

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,521 Posts
I still remember him picking up his always handy work gloves while going out the door to the outhouse, a "force of habit" when leaving the house. I asked him about that as a small child when he returned, but there was no explanation I can remember.
Ever meet a 'possum that thought it owned the outhouse?

· Registered
Termite
9,404 Posts
Nice to have a hand sink. Good on you.

Dids it ever occur to you to spell your name in the snow? That would save you the rest of the trip and your territory will be marked.
I plumbed in for a sink in the garage, but threw the DC in front of it. One of these days....

2281 - 2300 of 2342 Posts