Woodworking Talk banner
2261 - 2277 of 2277 Posts

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
one is a '78 Ford 3600, '49 Ford 8n, and '94 Kioti LB1914
Back in the '60s when I was 10ish I ran myself over with a Ford 9N. Out in a field, it wouldn't restart, weak battery etc. Top of a small hill, put it in neutral, it took both another kid and me pushing to get it rolling. I don't know why I tried to get on from the side instead of the rear, but that is what I tried. The rear wheel caught my foot, knocked me down, ran over me foot to head going 8ish mph. Tore a favorite shirt lol and a fence stopped it. Was going fast enough not to crush me, slow enough that the impact etc didn't hurt.

Worked out for me, but I don't recommend it lol.

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
what tractors did you have Jim? did you work with them?

one is a '78 Ford 3600, '49 Ford 8n, and '94 Kioti LB1914
I had a 1952 8N , I also had a WD45 and a 1957 B model John Deere. I loved that John Deere, that was one pulling son of a gun. I lived out in the sticks back then and I did work with them. That is fantastic that you got your shop and help the disabled also. I love it!

Good grief Bob, it is a wonder it didn't hurt you bad. I was run over by a wagon that horses pulled when I was 5 years old, thank goodness it had rubber tires. lol

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
the program was dreamed up before my time - a genteman who worked in the mental health field thought that intellectually disabled adults might enjoy working with wood. right he was. we developed into a program where they come to work and get paid for the work they do. they don't work in the shop by the equipment, but a side room. they sand, drill, glue ups, apply oil - all under a floor supervisor. we sell our products on line and in local shops. because we are non-profit, we get a lot of donations (lumber for example). thanks for the interest. it is a great vocation.

when you ask what they are going to do with their paycheck, it is never for themselves. it is typically "im going to buy my niece a bracelet, or take my parents out to eat, or, buy my sister a doll, etc..."

wow Bob, glad you are around to tell that story!!! (it would be awful hard to jump on a 9N from the back)

Jim sounds like you owned all the classics - thanks for sharing. luv 'em all!

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts
I had a 1952 8N , I also had a WD45 and a 1957 B model John Deere. I loved that John Deere, that was one pulling son of a gun. I lived out in the sticks back then and I did work with them. That is fantastic that you got your shop and help the disabled also. I love it!

Good grief Bob, it is a wonder it didn't hurt you bad. I was run over by a wagon that horses pulled when I was 5 years old, thank goodness it had rubber tires. lol
As another tractor lover, I can relate. I was raised on a 1936 John ere GP wide front, when I spent summers on Grandpa' farm in northern Indiana. It was my favorite place to be of all time. I ran the tip of my pointer finger through a couple of exposed meshing gears when I was 8 and screamed bloody murder for the 40 minute drive to the nearest doctor who sewed it up and gave it a 50/50 chance of growing back, which it did. I screamed at him also, no pain killers or Novacain with 9 stitches. Anyway, in the barn where the horses were kept, I was standing in some fairly deep straw when the horse I was petting stood on my foot. I could not move him off and panicked for a while. I didn't hurt much, but I got scared anyway. I used a step ladder in the orchard to get up on the back of the milk cow, but she didn't seem to mind. I climbed the windmill and scared grandma to death, but it was just fun for me. Great memories!
My current tractor as Tim Pa knows, is a 48 HP John Deere 4710, with a loader, and backhoe attachment.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

You can't have too many tractors ...... just sayin'
Plant Tire Wheel Tree Land lot

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
As another tractor lover, I can relate. I was raised on a 1936 John ere GP wide front, when I spent summers on Grandpa' farm in northern Indiana. It was my favorite place to be of all time. I ran the tip of my pointe finger through a couple of exposed meshing gears when I was 8 and screamed blood murder for the 40 minute drive to the nearest doctor who sewed it up and gave a 50/50 chance of growing back, which it did. I screamed at him also, no pain killers or Novacain with 9 stitches. Anyway, in the barn where the horses were kept, I was standing in some fairly deep straw when the horse I was petting stood on my foot. I could not move him off and panicked for a while. I didn't hurt much, but I got scared anyway. I used a step ladder in the orchard to get up on the back of the milk cow, but she didn't seem to mind. I climbed the windmill and scared grandma to death, but it was just fun for me. Great memories!
My current tractor as Tim Pa knows, is a 48 HP John Deere 4710, with a loader, and backhoe attachment.
View attachment 428447 View attachment 428448
You can't have too many tractors ...... just sayin'
View attachment 428449
We must be related Bill, I was into everything when I was small also. lol

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
the program was dreamed up before my time - a genteman who worked in the mental health field thought that intellectually disabled adults might enjoy working with wood. right he was. we developed into a program where they come to work and get paid for the work they do. they don't work in the shop by the equipment, but a side room. they sand, drill, glue ups, apply oil - all under a floor supervisor. we sell our products on line and in local shops. because we are non-profit, we get a lot of donations (lumber for example). thanks for the interest. it is a great vocation.

when you ask what they are going to do with their paycheck, it is never for themselves. it is typically "im going to buy my niece a bracelet, or take my parents out to eat, or, buy my sister a doll, etc..."

wow Bob, glad you are around to tell that story!!! (it would be awful hard to jump on a 9N from the back)

Tim, you have a kind heart helping the disabled like that, my hat is off to you buddy.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
nice pics Bill! love your JD... the one reminds me of a pic i have moving an outhouse (yes a real one) to a new location for a deer hunting shanty.

Thanks for the kind words Jim.. i started out here as a "job", then realized later that it is more than that. and i get to woodwork at the same time - win-win!

·
Registered
5,056 Posts

Will you share a link to your organization to learn more, and a link to the products for sale?

·
Thumb Nailer
2,506 Posts
I've been out for a while. Redoing the shop... current changes going on...

Mod the HF dust collector with Wen impeller, and Thien separator baffle, Wynn filter.

Build storage bench for lathe using reclaimed drawers.

Finish miter saw storage cabinet drawers.

Build drill press cabinet.

Build table saw workstation.

The entire idea is to maximize storage and function while minimizing space.

This is all in preparation for moving into a shed workshop. It all needs to fit in under 200sq ft.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,506 Posts
@dbhost
Haven't seen you on here in a very long time.
Welcome back.
Thanks. Yeah life kind of kicked us in the shorts...

Moving the right way now...

·
Thumb Nailer
2,506 Posts
Spent some more time working in the shop today maintaining, fixing, and organizing. Some items that I highly recommend if you have the same issues I do...

#1. Get a set of pnuematic ferrule crimpers, and proper size ferrules, measure the OD of your air hoses and buy the closest size bigger than your hose, and make custom length air hoses if you have a stationary compressor that needs to connect to a manifold / filter / regulator / dryer assembly. WIth the shortest hose I could buy I still had at least 5' of hose looped around hanging on the fittings causing constant leaks. Shortened the entire hose down to about 18" and no extra weight, no funny bends, no undue pressure on the connections, thus, no leaks.

#2. Do NOT use Great Value LED T8/T12 direct replacement bulbs. Had to dig out the old T12s I had stashed in the attic to get my shop lights working right again. The Wally world LED ones are supposed to be direct drop in replacements, they are utter junk. LED, or Floursecent though, keep your lighting in your shop working in top order, this is a huge issue for safety, not to mention just the ability to enjoy being in your shop.

#3. If you have a big dust bin, get rid of it. my 55 gallon Thien separator dust bin is 3/4 full and more than a handful to empty. I will be happy to finish getting rid of it.

#4. The HF 2HP dust collector has had the Wynn 35a on it for well over a decade now, and it is probably just now getting broken in. This is the spun bond material, .5 micron blah blah. Works great. The Wen impeller upgrade was a massively easy project assuming you know how to use a gear puller. I am not sure if, or how the Wen impeller differs at all from the Rikon. I have not seen them side by side, but rather seen photos of both next to the HF impeller, and the Rikon impeller, and the Wen impeller look exactly the same to me. I do not want to use 3/4 plywood for the baffle in the DC inlet / separator ring, and I do not have large enough 1/4" stock, so I ordered a poplar plywood project panel. Unfortunately it will not be in until next Friday.

#5. Periodically check machine belts, and bandsaw tires. The belts on my drrill press need to be replaced, and the tires on my Central Machinery 14" drill press are starting to crack as well which explains some of the blade tracking issues I have seen. I will be regaling folks with tales of woe shortly on that.

#6. Aerosol cans of finishes, solvents and whatnot go bad after a while, periodically check, and properly dispose of any bad containers / product.

#7. Don't let your projects pile up on you. Once I can get my shop clean enough to get back to the projects I have the following projects to get back to work on.
A. Rebuild cast iron / red oak park bench. Cast iron ends have been cleaned up, need to apply POR-15 to give it that uh.... municipal park bench rugged finish and look. Need to finish prepping the slats, Source up stainless hardware and assemble.
B. Lathe ballast / storage bench. This will utilize 4 of my sister in laws former kitchen drawers. These were pull outs from hurricane Harvey flooding, the waters were well below the drawers, but the entire cabinets had to get wrecked out so we salvaged this, and these are well made late 60s drawers.
C. Kitchen Island refinish. No joke, my wife and I stumbled upon someone throwing out on heavy trash day, a large oak kitchen island. It needed some new hardware, and some refinishing TLC, which I am happy to throw at it, and it fits perfectly in with our style, and we desperately needed the additional prep surface and storage space the island provides.
D. Closet storage organizer drawer. Our master closet is a funny V shape, and my wife needs drawer space, we have a set of VERY nice Cherry drawers, again pull outs from Harvey, no water damage to the drawers, but the carcasses were shot, anyway I figure use the drawers in a nice cherry box, and build basicaly a tall dresser for the master closet.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Building a new house on a lake in northern Michigan where the closest restaurant and groceries are more then ten miles away. If I was going to live out in the middle of nowhere I was going to get a new workshop out of it so I had something to do with my time besides fish.

Building was completed this summer and I had a moving company haul my larger tools and stash of lumber in August. Took some time to finish getting power hooked up but I’m now fully moved into what is my dream workshop.

Space is 35x30 feet with 15 1/2 foot ceilings. A 10 foot wide loft is along one of the long sides leaving an 8 foot ceiling under the loft. Building is 2x6 construction with at least 4 inches foam insulation in walls and 18 inches cellulose insulation in ceiling. Allows for central heat and air.

East wall has mitersaw and panel saw with dedicated dust collection. There is also storage for plywood and about 1200 board feet of rough cut lumber.

South wall has dust collection, drill press and room for scroll saw under the window once we stop living in the workshop and move into the house.

East wall gets primary work bench with lots of natural light and storage. There are also 3 router tables and 2 shapers.

Middle of room gets tablesaw, jointer, drum sander, planer/molder and spindle sander.

North wall gets bathroom and large 12x12 garage door that opens into the unheated 25x30 foot garage with its own matching 12x12 garage door. Makes it nice driving van through garage to unload lumber and plywood. Figure once I die my family will sell the tools and buy a pontoon boat and other toys to store in my workshop. Want to make it easy backing it in.

All the plugs are 50 inches from ground to keep sheet goods, cabinets and tools from interfering with access.

2261 - 2277 of 2277 Posts