Woodworking Talk banner
2241 - 2260 of 2277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
I just set up a new wood shop out back which is slightly smaller than my last wood shop, which was smaller than my last, and smaller than my last then one more which was my main shop for years when I was in business. lol
My now wood shop is just for enjoyment and relaxation, which I find hard to do when I am out there. I can't seem to break the habit of rush, rush, rush to finish a project to beat the dead line. Hopefully I will slow down and rest and relax more when doing a "fun" project.

My really small shop was neat when we got all finished and started moving most of my tools in. But now after reading the last few posts I realize my shop has some clutter I really need to make go away. With the price of materials and being retired now, I seem to save every scrap of wood and other materials.

I have sold or given away the majority of my large tools and have downsized to mostly hand tools except for a few tools like my lathe, band saw, smaller table saw and sliding miter saw. I had to store one of my smaller miter saws, two was just too much. The photos are of some of my tools I have added a few more since taking these photos. My shop isn't fancy and I don't need fancy, I want small and comfortable now days. My days of making fancy things for others is over, now it is my turn. lol

EDIT*** While checking my photos I just posted, there is a photo of someone else's shop my shop is of wall 1 and 2 not the other one, I will see how to remove that photo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,917 Posts
nicely done, Jim !!
in the first shop I built - I had the same fold out style windows that raised from the outside.
(I didn't have a clue of what I was doing, I just made the building from scratch).
3 years later, I sold the home and the buyer was ecstatic with the shop, so it must have been okay.
is this just for your wood projects ? or for any gas motor that comes in for repair.

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
nicely done, Jim !!
in the first shop I built - I had the same fold out style windows that raised from the outside.
(I didn't have a clue of what I was doing, I just made the building from scratch).
3 years later, I sold the home and the buyer was ecstatic with the shop, so it must have been okay.
is this just for your wood projects ? or for any gas motor that comes in for repair.
LOL This is just for wood working, my mechanic shop is out front, well my garage is. That window is a regular window, the wooden shutter is to keep people from seeing in or breaking in. There are 5 baseball fields just across our back fence and the shop is in plain view of hundreds of people weekly, so I felt security and that raise up shutter was necessary. John look close, do a few of those carving knives look familiar. I am still in awe of your craftsmanship on the knives you sent me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My shop is 20 by 20. With all my stuff in it I have just enough room to work. It was once a dance room built on back of a two story building that was once a beer joint. The two story building was built in the 20s I think. The dance room was built later. It was also a restaurant called The Lone Star Lunch at one time. It was later turned apartments. My dad owned it at one time and traded it for a farm next to his. It caught afire several times and saved by the local fire department. The last time it caught afire the owner would not fix it back up. It was rumored that someone was going to buy it and put in a beer joint. I did not want that In front of me. I bought it and tore down the front part and saved the back for my shop. I build furniture and crafts. Cooter

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,917 Posts
Anisha - welcome to the forum !!
pretty nice history for your shop - do you have any photos to share with us ?
the topic of the forum is "SHOW us your shop" - we would like to see it.
and photos of some of your projects would be nice to see also.

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts
Hi Jay, looking at your shop noticing the overhead garage door tracks and thinking how much better you would like the type by Liftmaster that mount on the sides of the doors on the wall.

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts
I'd be farther ahead just pulling the opener and track down. It is disconnected on the 16' door since that door never opens.
That's what I thought I saw! I wonder if you can live with that and how you might seal the opening securely? The old garage doors hinged on the outside and again in the center of each door and swung outward. They were heavy as all get out, but they worked fairly well. If a semi-permanent wall will work, think about adding some sliding windows to let in additional light unless the wall space will be more important. Natural light is so great for a workshop, unless you are a Night Owl..... LOL.

·
Super Moderator
Ole Nail Whooper
5,432 Posts
i'm the production manager here... and get to work here every day.

we also have disabled adults who work here, they love it.
I bet you love it too, that is a dream shop. By the way, I like your new avatar photo, I like old tractors, had a few. I see some of these aren't old though.

2241 - 2260 of 2277 Posts