Woodworking Talk banner
2221 - 2240 of 2277 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Two pictures, left and right of centerline, composite. But it's fairly accurate. Finally getting things a little organized.

Trying to "hide" the shop. First coat of the background color. Only one side done today, since it kept threatening to rain.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Shop still needs some sorting and organizing ... but one of the items I need is a good, solid work bench. I'd already decided I was going to make mine out of pallet wood. So, I started bring some home from the flooring place near work.

pallet wood project 003.JPG

Got those disassembled this past weekend. Needed to do some work on the used planer I bought. You can see the "table" is warped. It's a thin sheet of stainless, I believe.

planer (1).JPG

So I cut a new deck out of some 1/8" aluminum ... and ...

planer (2).JPG

planer (3).JPG

It is aluminum, though, so I am not sure how long it's going to last. You can already see marks left by the wood passing through. But it sure does a great job.

pallet wood board (1).JPG

Left the pallet planks glue ready. I glued a bounch together yesterday. Planed it today. My first board from pallet wood.

pallet wood board (2).JPG

pallet wood board (3).JPG

pallet wood board (4).JPG

pallet wood board (5).JPG

Four or five more like this, and I'll have the bench top I've always wanted. The rest of the bench will be easier ... but it'll be made from the larger pieces of pallet wood. This bench will be almost free, other than a few parts and labor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's mine. Twenty years ago I doubled the size of my garage adding 24' onto the back with a 16' o.h. door in between. It is insulated and heated. It worked out well for a few years because I had storage nearby where I could keep a vehicle and other stuff. Then I retired and at the same time lost my cheap storage,so some of "stuff" had to come home.
Vehicle cover Property Cabinetry Building Countertop
Picture frame Table Building Television Lighting
so sot"stuhome. But at the same time the size of my projects decreased. Anyway, for what I am doing now the little corner I have left is usually enough but if I need more I move my wife's car out and have a full stall to work with. The shelf above the workbench shows the size of most of my projects lately so you can see that I don't really need a whole lot of room anymore. It' a good thing it isn't any bigger or there would be another car in there. I always have to ask myself "OK if you buy it, where will you put it".

·
Registered
767 Posts
I started with a workbench and a table saw and over the years I filled my garage with tools as I needed them. A lot of stuff is on wheels because I share my shop with a car.

The yellow paint started when I didn’t have money for tools or projects but I could afford paint. I wanted to paint my workbench because I kept losing small stuff in the grain of the wood. I came across a sale on a gallon of Safety Yellow, oil-based paint. The stuff painted decades ago still looks as good as new paint.

The speakers are an open baffle design (speakers on a board). I recycled old speakers and my first good stereo, I discovered they sound great in the garage. The TV is dedicated to a slideshow of pictures I took at car shows.
Are you a DeWalt fan ? I think It looks so nice.. you decided the best color choose..
This is my workshop..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,891 Posts
please speak in English here - it is the common language that we all understand.
thank you - and welcome to the forum.

so - these are only photographic renderings of what you would like for your shop to look like ?
very nice ! you are setting some high goals - I hope you can make it.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
5,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The photo with the violins looks like a real shop. It also appears the area past the workbench is roped off; is this a museum or an actual working shop? Yours?

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
I don't think I would like the floor in the second picture. It may look nice unused but would soon fill the gaps with sawdust. Then what would happen to me is some little strip of wood would find it's way into one of the grooves edgewise and I would end up tripping over it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think I would like the floor in the second picture. It may look nice unused but would soon fill the gaps with sawdust. Then what would happen to me is some little strip of wood would find it's way into one of the grooves edgewise and I would end up tripping over it.
The first picture looks like a museum, and the second picture is a computer model.

So there will never be sawdust on that floor!

Heres a real shop btw

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
@BigCountry79
I have always been a big proponent of a clean shop. It really does make life easier. I can always spray at almost a moments notice. My present shop is small and I sweep pretty much everyday before I leave. Sometimes with a little assist with an air jet. At least once a week. I completely blow down everything with a leaf blower. The heavy debris lands no more than a few feet away from the overhead door and I vac that up in just a few minutes.
I hope you continue with your 'so far, so good' attitude.

·
Registered
467 Posts
@BigCountry79
I have always been a big proponent of a clean shop. It really does make life easier. I can always spray at almost a moments notice. My present shop is small and I sweep pretty much everyday before I leave. Sometimes with a little assist with an air jet. At least once a week. I completely blow down everything with a leaf blower. The heavy debris lands no more than a few feet away from the overhead door and I vac that up in just a few minutes.
I hope you continue with your 'so far, so good' attitude.
My old shop was not an inviting place. The ceiling was about 6' 9" and if I stood on my tiptoes i could brush the beams with my hair. The ductwork and I beams made my life kind if miserable.

I didn't enjoy BEING there let alone working there. I actually like being in this new shop, i dont hit my head, and i will take my morning coffee down to the shop, and if something is out of place, I'll usually just sweep up, plan my next project, and enjoy the quiet.

The old shop:

I enjoy not having crap everywhere, although this was right before we moved

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
Once you getb on a roll, cleaning up becomes second nature. I will admit that sometimes I am really not in the mood to clean up before I go home and it is a slight struggle to get started. I do it anyway and it goes quickly and when I get in the truck to drive home, I am so glad I did it. Now when I get there in the morning, I can have my coffee and planning time and then get right to it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Once you getb on a roll, cleaning up becomes second nature. I will admit that sometimes I am really not in the mood to clean up before I go home and it is a slight struggle to get started. I do it anyway and it goes quickly and when I get in the truck to drive home, I am so glad I did it. Now when I get there in the morning, I can have my coffee and planning time and then get right to it.
I have to say that having the vacuum on a 20' hose caddy and a remote switch makes a world of difference cleaning up!

When cleaning is easy, you just do it more often. My kids play near the shop too so I dont want sawdust everywhere!

2221 - 2240 of 2277 Posts