Woodworking Talk banner

2201 - 2220 of 2252 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,559 Posts
I do have a full time helper in my shop now. He's not much for the typical shop tasks, but does help with ridding the place of small flying insects occasionally. I don't expect him (or her) to last much longer though since winter is close. Looking kind of scrawny for a typical orb spider..

Reactions: peatypeacock

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,559 Posts
I have my doubts. She's not afraid of spiders.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It's getting there! Siding is done, garage doors are done. They still need to shingle the roof, install the rest of the soffits and install the walk-in door.
From the back of the house ...

From the street, looking towards the house.

Got most of the trench dug for burying the electrical feed.

I've been talking to the electrician. He's ready to go as soon as the building gets signed off. I should be powered before New Years, if all goes well.

Situation: The Hardie board walls are just primed. I'll be painting soon. My goal is going to be ... hide the workshop with drab green paint. Walls, garage doors and trim ... all painted the same color. I know it won't be "invisible", but I don't want people driving by to notice it.
Question: Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have a color option that will blend in best with Central Florida vegetation? I want to go the whole route and camouflage it. Wife says, "No" to that. She thinks it'll look tacky.

·
That Guy
410 Posts
Build a large fenced dog run down one side of it with a doggy door that leads into the shop.

That won't camouflage it but it will make thieves go look for something easier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The panorama view is a bit disorienting. This is 180º. The orange extension cords on the left edge of the photo, and the apron and face shield on the right edge of the photo are hanging on the same wall, right behind the photographer's back. The miter saw table is about 5' away from the center work bench, and they're oriented parallel. Behind the miter saw is a rack that holds 4x8 sheet stock on the long edge. The wooden doors are 12' tall and 8' wide.

From the opposite corner, a 90º panorama:

Looking in the front doors. I'm pretty proud of the canoe rig. I can carefully drive right under it and lower the boat on top of my car.

Also pretty pleased with this rack for sheet stock, which you can see just inside the doors to the right in the photo above. Below, 3/4" EMT, with pieces of 1" PVC make the rollers:

You can probably tell I'm committed to re-using scraps whenever possible. The miter saw table and extension roller are repurposed parts from an old dead treadmill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

I got everything (or nearly so) moved from the garage into the new workshop. Now I have to organize, organize and organize some more.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Congrats on finally moving in. Organizing should come quickly. Reorganizing seems to be an on going process. The more you work in the shop, the more reorganizing you will do at first.. You have twice the room that I do so reorganizing will come more slowly. due to less need and that's a good thing.
Again - CONGRATS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's our bitty little one-car-garage shop in a slightly disorienting panorama view:

It's still VERY early days (we're going to build a long bench along the left wall there, and will replace our MONSTER mitre saw with the Bosch one with the flush back and get it out of the corner — still need a solid lumber storage solution, will put french cleats around the whole room rather than just over the bench at the back, etc.) but for a couple of brand new woodworkers' just-starting-out shop it's pretty functional!

·
Registered
Termite
4,249 Posts
Your going to replace the Dewalt saw with a Bosch?

What model Dewalt?

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Here's our bitty little one-car-garage shop in a slightly disorienting panorama view:

View attachment 422873

r — still need a solid lumber storage solution....................
My first shop was in a spare bedroom, and a small one at that.

As for lumber storage, have you considered vertical storage?
It's a lot easier to use. Moving vertical boards beats lifting horizontal boards while sorting through there. Just slope slightly backwards. also takes up less valuable wall space.
These photos are not from my bedroom LOL

Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep — it's the DWS779. It's a great saw, and we got it at a GREAT price (hence why we got it 😅) but it's massively too big for our space. We're going to sell it and go for the Bosch CM10GD because we'll be able to put it against a wall.

·
Registered
Termite
4,249 Posts
Yep — it's the DWS779. It's a great saw, and we got it at a GREAT price (hence why we got it 😅) but it's massively too big for our space. We're going to sell it and go for the Bosch CM10GD because we'll be able to put it against a wall.
If your worried about space look at diy multi purpose 3 in 1 tool tables. They simple spin to the next tool. Many small shops buy portable with space problems..

2201 - 2220 of 2252 Posts