Woodworking Talk banner

2181 - 2200 of 2252 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,559 Posts
Someday when all our kids kids grandkids are all grown up and retired I'll show you my shop.. oh wait..I'll be long gone by then. How about when I finish transforming the monumental waste of space into real space? I've finally got a plan in place. Now it's a matter of clearing some space for getting to work. I have absolutely decided against peg board.I have utterly zero peg board skills and no desire to have them despite being surrounded by the crap.. After my wall is transformed one of my goals is to rip out all the peg board, donate it to the pegboard needy and put up real walls and maybe even some insulation.
just a taste of why I hate pegboard..
It just feels hither hather and has absolutely zero appeal to me. I'd rather just throw things on the floor and root around the sawdust for them! Lol

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Over a period of time, peg board can get expensive. It's cheaper for me to hire someone to get me my tools than to buy all those hooks.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Busy week - intermittently working on wife's Hoosier restore and sorting hardware into the new rack. All but 2 of the trays are full, all the grey drawers are full. Everything from 0-80 to 3/4". Disappointed no room for the wood screw collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sometimes the kitchen becomes an extension of the shop. But. rather sit here in the air conditioned house while sorting all those parts to fill all those little compartments in those cabinets. :grin:
Yes, a lot of the parts came in original boxes and bags, but have a lot of the "collections" of the type shown. Someday it will all be over. Perhaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, I just joined a few days ago. My fiancee and I bought our first house last fall so I finally have my own workshop space! I'm still in the process of figuring out how I want to organize it and what works best for the space I have.

IMG_2037.jpg

The one issue I've been trying to figure out is that the space is part of a three-car garage so I only have about two 12-ft sections of wall available. I have a 1955 Shopsmith I'm going to be restoring and a 1950's Craftsman bench saw that I'm hoping to restore and integrate into a rolling table saw/assembly bench, and then having a workbench built along one of the walls (probably where the temporary bench is now.

Does anyone have recommendations for how to achieve the most storage/organization space when you are missing half the walls?

·
Administrator
David
5,531 Posts
Not sure on the storage issue, Ben, but the first thing I would address is lighting - you need a lot more.

How are you fixed for power? If it's like most garages there's one circuit for all the outlets so you're going to need some new circuits, a couple of dedicated 20 amp would handle new power tools well.

Will you be getting any 240v equipment? You'll need outlets for those, as well.

It's a great place to start so keep us posted on your progress.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure on the storage issue, Ben, but the first thing I would address is lighting - you need a lot more.
How are you fixed for power? If it's like most garages there's one circuit for all the outlets so you're going to need some new circuits, a couple of dedicated 20 amp would handle new power tools well.
Will you be getting any 240v equipment? You'll need outlets for those, as well.
It's a great place to start so keep us posted on your progress.
David
Yeah, lighting and power are my first project. Right now there's only a couple outlets that are part of the kitchen circuit that has the refrigerator on it, so I'm working on figuring out what my options are for running a couple dedicated circuits out to the garage: one for outlets and one for lighting. The breaker panel is already a good 2/3 full, so I have to figure out what kind of headroom I have with our current 200A service and if I will need to see about upping it. I don't know yet if I will have 240v tools at any point, but I have an air compressor and I definitely want that on a dedicated circuit. After I figure out the electrical I'm going to insulate the exterior walls and the doors and then drywall and paint the entire garage to help with lighting. I'm planning on having several banks of LED shop lights because I HAAAAAAATE having poor lighting in my work areas, I'm just not sure if I want to go with traditional rows of lights or if I want to set up lights in squares in 2 or 3 spots. Unfortunately I'm a full-time student and working full time so this is all something that is going to take a long time to complete. I'll try to remember to post pictures as things happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shop 3.0 Still a Work In Progress

Well I have been slowly putting together, yet another shop. As always, I have to share the garage with other stuff like bikes, the gym, and random crap. However, I have been able to build anything and everything I have wanted, or that my wife has wanted. I am in the process of upgrading some equipment to include a larger bandsaw, an oscillating spindle sander, and I recently just upgraded my lathe. I also have a few pieces of equipment that I need to acquire, like a jointer, planer, and a router table of some kind. I can't believe I have went this long with those tools. Other than that, I can pretty much build anything I want, which has been super nice.

If I could just keep it cool in there. This central Florida heat is a killer.

Attachments

Reactions: difalkner

·
Administrator
David
5,531 Posts
Our two-car garage is our shop (full time) and I created three zones for lighting. This helps with finishing, photography and video, and keeps me from using lights in sections where I'm not working. When I wired it that way with three zones I wasn't sure I would ever use it but I now vary the lighting probably every day and am so glad I wired it that way. We put in seven 4-lamp T-8 fixtures and with all of them on it's pretty bright.

David

·
Administrator
David
5,531 Posts
Well I have been slowly putting together, yet another shop. As always, I have to share the garage with other stuff like bikes, the gym, and random crap. However, I have been able to build anything and everything I have wanted, or that my wife has wanted. I am in the process of upgrading some equipment to include a larger bandsaw, an oscillating spindle sander, and I recently just upgraded my lathe. I also have a few pieces of equipment that I need to acquire, like a jointer, planer, and a router table of some kind. I can't believe I have went this long with those tools. Other than that, I can pretty much build anything I want, which has been super nice.

If I could just keep it cool in there. This central Florida heat is a killer.
Looks good, Doug! We're expecting to see a lot of good project photos soon... :wink:

It cost about $500 to fully insulate our two-car garage, including the door, and then we put a mini-split system in for cooling and heating. Located in NW Louisiana we're not too much different from your climate. Constant humidity in the 85% to 95% range, summer temps in the 95° to 105° range - hot! But our shop stays very comfortable year round.

David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good, Doug! We're expecting to see a lot of good project photos soon... :wink:

It cost about $500 to fully insulate our two-car garage, including the door, and then we put a mini-split system in for cooling and heating. Located in NW Louisiana we're not too much different from your climate. Constant humidity in the 85% to 95% range, summer temps in the 95° to 105° range - hot! But our shop stays very comfortable year round.

David
I would love to install a mini split system, but unfortunately our HOA will not allow it. Hopefully our 5 year plan will come to fruition, and I'll have my own dedicated shop with A/C.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm ashamed to show the workshop. It's not a workshop. This is a canopy with an earthen floor and metal walls. Very tight. So far there is no money for a normal workshop.

·
Registered
Termite
4,249 Posts
I'm ashamed to show the workshop. It's not a workshop. This is a canopy with an earthen floor and metal walls. Very tight. So far there is no money for a normal workshop.
Something is better than nothing. I've seen shops that a lot of ,one has been spent on, yet product nothing....

2181 - 2200 of 2252 Posts